It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

Consistent HB User
Unhappy Vaginal irritation and misdiagnosis from doctor? PLEASE help me!

So here's the deal. It all started one morning. I woke up and I felt just fine. I went to the bathroom and I was just fine. But when I left the bathroom and started down the hallway, I suddenly felt this horrible vaginal burning! I thought it might be a bad reaction to my new laundry detergent so I stopped using it, but that didn't help. I thought it might be a yeast infection so I went to the store and got some Monistat. It didn't work. A few days after I was done with the Monistat, the burning went away. And I'd be just fine until I washed down there and then I'd be sore for a few hours. Other than that, I'd have this occasional itching. After a while, I couldn't take it anymore and I decided to go to the doctor. That same day, before I went to the doctor, I noticed this thin, kinda watery, kinda white vaginal discharge.

So I went to the doctor and I had a fever. Then she did the exam and said I had a really bad infection. They took a swab and sent it to the lab. More than a week later I still haven't received my results, but when I was at the doctor she said it looks as if it might be chlamydia or gonorrhea. Which completely confuses me because I am NOT sexually active. It hasn't happened yet and I don't plan on it happening for a while yet. But she said MIGHT and I don't see any logical way that it could be either of those anyway. They gave me a single pill while I was there and a shot and sent me on my way with a prescription of Diflucan to take over the course of three days. It's been over a week and I haven't seen any improvements from that medicine. If anything, I think I've gotten a little worse since going to the doctor since I'm constantly sore now. I think she was wrong. How could I have a STD when I haven't had sexual contact of any kind? And it can't be a yeast infection. So what is it? Please help me! I feel miserable. And I feel as if my life has been put on hold because of all the time I spend thinking about this (even though I don't have much of a life as it is) and I have a hard time focusing on anything else. So like I said, please help. Any theory or general idea is welcome, I just want some opinions about what could be going on.

Here's what I have or have had: burning (not during urination, it was a constant burning that lasted throughout the day), itching (rarely), soreness (constant soreness since I went to the doctor), fever, and discharge (rarely).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vaginal irritation and misdiagnosis from doctor? PLEASE help me!

Not all vaginal infections are STDs. Some can just happen to women, even women who've never had sex.

Now, fever is consistent with some sort of infection, and so far as I know the only vaginal infections that produce fever are STDs. However, the fever MIGHT be unrelated, you might just have a cold or something.

Wait and see what the tests show. You might need to call to get the results. Meanwhile, don't put any chemicals on your vulva, not even soap, wash all your underwear in hot water with no detergent, and try sleeping without underwear sometimes.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User
Re: Vaginal irritation and misdiagnosis from doctor? PLEASE help me!

I agree that it can't be an STD if you've had no sexual contact at all. Doctors can't diagnose STDs completely by symptoms.
You might check with your doctor now, as she should probably have the test results since it's been a whole week. Let her know you are still having symptoms!
Sounds like it could be either yeast (diflucan and monistat don't always cure them) or bacterial vaginosis. MAYBE a UTI.
Also, I think if you still have a fever after a whole week, you should go back to the doctor ASAP, anyway.
Let us know what she says. Hope you're better soon.

Last edited by pfe; 06-15-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Closed Thread