It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Is this normal procedure?

Im a 42 yr old female, I have 4 kids and my youngest is 18months. For 3 years I have had lower right abdominal/pelvic pain. My old Dr did the ctscan, colonoscopy and sonogram. Said it was IBS. Well I am getting tired of this pain and changed Drs, she told me it could have to do with my cycles. Im in pain for a month with this pain and it goes away for 2 months, then hits again. She did a transvaginal ultrasound and abdominal. It showed two cysts on my right ovary 1.0 and 0.9, the left had about 8 cysts. The sonographer said women can have LARGE cysts that cause NO pain and the tiny ones cause women alot of pain and grief. So off to the gyne I go....After waiting 45 min to see him, he looks at the sonogram report and says NO that would not cause you pain!!! He said I need laperscopic (sp) surgery and he will cut my tubes also. I went on to say im terrified of surgery, never had any .... terrified of waking up during surgery. He dismissed me, didn't say how the surgery would go ... told me ZIP! He did say he would have his secretary call me and arrange the lap date.

Are there no more consults? I feel like he TOLD me what I had to do. Has anyone had this surgery? did your dr go over everything before scheduling you? Also, I smoke....he didn't say anything about me not smoking .... and from what Ive read you have to stop at LEAST 48 hrs prior.

Thanks for listening.....Im terrified and I don't feel right about this situation. I don't want it to be a reason not to go thru with the surgery, so that is why im asking if this is normal.

Oh and I asked him if he could test my hormones and he said Im way to young! I was told by the sonographer my hormones may be off and just ask to have them checked, cause a hormonal imbalance can cause pelvic pain!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
(female)

ST22 HB User
Re: Is this normal procedure?

Sounds like you definitely need a second opinion! I'm sorry you are going through this. Don't let the surgeon push you around though, you are not his employee and you don't have to take that. Not saying he isn't a good doctor but sometimes they tend to get desensitized and don't realize how the patient might feel. Surgery is always a big deal and nothing to be pushed into. Research the different possibilities/complications/treatments of your condition. If the doctor wont listen to your concerns, find one that will

As for the surgery...laparascopic are much less invasive than open procedures. Therefore, easier recovery, shorter time under anesthesia, and overall just an easier surgery. Surgeon's cannot tell you 100% how it will turn out but complications with anesthesia rarely happen. Still scary though! I would just research and then research some more! One more question what exactly was the name of procedure he was wanting to do? I'm sorry I couldn't give you more information but maybe I will know more if I know the name of the surgery Hope this helped a little though!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

ST22 HB User

Sorry one more thing about the smoking....they usually ask you to refrain from smoking, eating, and drinking 24 hours before surgery. Its due to the anesthesia and possible reactions. They even tell you when you brush your teeth don't swallow the water! But if you do break any of these rules, be sure to tell them since it could dictate their decision with which anesthesia is used.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

He just said he was going to do Laperscopic (sp), he said its about time someone went in and see whats going on, he thinks I might have endo. While he is in there he said he would tie my tubes.

I had all the other tests 3 years ago, but they said IBS. I just don't know anymore. I always worry its my appendix, he said he will look at that also....but i would LOVE for him to take it out so I don't have to keep running to the ER for fear of it being the cause of my pain.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

ST22 HB User

It sounds like exploratory surgery might be the next step then. I think its pretty much the only way to diagnose endometriosis. Just make sure you are comfortable with your dr. it's normal to have concerns/fear before surgery. In this case it sounds like the good outway the bad. It isn't known to be a "risky" and he has probably done a lot of them.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST22 View Post
It sounds like exploratory surgery might be the next step then. I think its pretty much the only way to diagnose endometriosis. Just make sure you are comfortable with your dr. it's normal to have concerns/fear before surgery. In this case it sounds like the good outway the bad. It isn't known to be a "risky" and he has probably done a lot of them.
Thanks, he said it will take 45min. So I shouldn't be under to long. But if Im going under I want everything out lol

Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
(female)

ST22 HB User

lol I understand! Good luck!! You'll be fine

Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
(female)

skylady1990 HB User

I can relate to what your going though. I was diagnosed with IBS and said nope thats not whats going on. Continued to explore my options. Was tested for endometriosis which involved an exploratory laproscopy. Which didn't find any endometriosis but did remove a large portion of scar tissue from when I had my c-section with my son and an ovarian cyst. Pain went away for a year or so and then came back. New insurance so went to a new obgyn. Had my tubal, endo ablation and d&c a week ago. Hopefully it will be a cure for my pain and bleeding will just have to wait and see.

If you don't feel comfortable being pushed into the surgery go to a different doctor. Find one you can trust and who will talk with you and discuss your different options.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylady1990 View Post
I can relate to what your going though. I was diagnosed with IBS and said nope thats not whats going on. Continued to explore my options. Was tested for endometriosis which involved an exploratory laproscopy. Which didn't find any endometriosis but did remove a large portion of scar tissue from when I had my c-section with my son and an ovarian cyst. Pain went away for a year or so and then came back. New insurance so went to a new obgyn. Had my tubal, endo ablation and d&c a week ago. Hopefully it will be a cure for my pain and bleeding will just have to wait and see.

If you don't feel comfortable being pushed into the surgery go to a different doctor. Find one you can trust and who will talk with you and discuss your different options.
Where is your pain? I love how they do these test and give you the its IBS diagnosis. I think mine is more too. I really think its the small cysts on my right ovary, because it lasts a month and then leaves for 2 and then hits with my period. Lets put an ovary in a male gynecologist and give it a cyst and see if he still thinks a small cyst wont cause pain lol

Closed Thread