It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

KellyCz HB User
Pelvic Pain, heavy bleeding for a month, nothing shows up on ultrasound!

Hi all,
I have always had very painful periods. Not particularly heavy but just really painful. My flow usually lasts 3-4 days, sometimes more, but never less. They have never lasted more than 7 days, and that was mainly during the first few years I had a cycle. I have had a few ovarian cysts, and I thought that's what this might be. My PCP (Haven't been to GYN yet, go on Friday) did an ultrasound of my pelvis, and it was unremarkable. I can't believe this, because I have been bleeding for close to a month. (Started on May 26th.) There are quite a few more clots in it than I typically see....and they can be quite large.

The ultrasound tech thought she saw something, and measured it, (said the word cyst) but it said nothing about that in the report my PCP got. My GYN is also getting a copy of the report, but I am wondering if I should obtain the actual ultrasound images and take them with me on Friday?

Has anyone ever had this happen that nothing shows on an ultrasound? I had a transvaginal and a pelvic ultrasound. Something is going on that is out of the norm for me and I WILL find out what it is. I also had an epidural steroid injection in my back a few weeks before the bleeding started. Is this something that I should mention to the gynecologist? I ask because I know that steroids can mess up menstruation from time to time. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Pelvic Pain, heavy bleeding for a month, nothing shows up on ultrasound!

If you had just a regular transvaginal ultrasound, it wouldn't necessarily show anything. The only way to know for sure is with the sonohystogram, I think that's what its called. The gyne has to fill the uterus with water and then do the ultrasound because then she can see what's in there.

The normal resting state of the uterus is kind of like a deflated balloon. That's why a regular transvaginal ultrasound won't show much. But the act of filling it with water allows for a much more clear picture whther there are polyps or fibroids inside the uterus. Either of those could cause the symptoms you're having.

Another thing to consider is endometriosis. That's something that can only be seen through a procedure called laproscopy, which needs to be done outpatient in the hospital. Your symptoms, especially the pelvic pain, are possibly pointing to endo.

The fact is, you shouldn't trust a PCP to diagnose this type of problem because they don't have the necessary training or knowledge to really figure it out. The gyne is your best bet for coming up with an answer and possible solution to the problem. So its really good that you're going to see the gyne at this point.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kszan:
dawnlaurie40 (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

dawnlaurie40 HB User
Re: Pelvic Pain, heavy bleeding for a month, nothing shows up on ultrasound!

I have been bleeding for 4 months solid, I have pcos and so only normally get two periods a year. So you can imagine that in February once I started bleeding and didn't stop I was really concerned. So was my doctor and so they sent me up to the hospital to have a pelvic vaginal ultrasound........and what did they say.....oh your fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fine, how can that be, I have been bleeding all this time. My womb is fine, my ovaries are fine, no cysts , fibroids, I'm gutted, something has to be wrong. Has anyone else has had this problem. I can't carry on like this. I have read on some posts that maybe they need to do another scan where they fill up your uterus and bladder that that will show something. I have now been referred back to my doctor to discuss what to do next. Please if someone can advise, I have been in agony these past months and constant bleeding, there has to be an explanation.

Closed Thread