It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

gmp377 HB User
Late Menstruation, but Negative HPT

Hello Everyone,

I am currently 4 days late on my period, if you are basing it on a typical 28- day cycle. I have never had intercourse, however, my boyfriend has manually stimulated me twice since my last menstrual period. I am pretty certain no bodily fluids were exchanged, but to be safe, I took a pregnancy test anyway. The result was NEGATIVE. However, I still have not gotten my period.

Last month, I started on day 26, the month before that I started on day 31, the month prior I started on day 28, and have gone as late as 34 days, but have not been any later than that in the past year or more. I am, I suppose, not very regular. For months, I would have no symptoms of my period coming at all. I would just go to the bathroom and notice blood on the toilet paper. Then, about a year ago, my cycle switched gears and I had sore breasts and very mild, hardly noticeable cramps about a week before my period was coming. This month, I have NOTHING, which is really throwing me off.

I have no sore breasts, no cramps, no nausea, and nothing at all to indicate pregnancy. The only thing going on is a bloated sensation and lots of gas and occassional diarrhea, which I am almost certain is caused from stress. I have been sick with allergies and about two months ago, started working in a new office building with several women. I was wondering if maybe my cycle could have "reset" itself from being around those women every day? Also, I am taking college classes at night, getting much less exercise than I did before starting this job, and have not been getting as much rest as I probably should. Could these be contributing factors to the late period?

I am starting to get a bit stressed about this and worried that a pregnancy could have somehow magically happened without intercourse. All help is so appreciated!! Please reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
(female)

gmp377 HB User
Re: Late Menstruation, but Negative HPT

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Does it seem normal for my cycle to be so different this month than it has been in past months? Please read and advise. I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

If you haven't had intercourse and you haven't exchanged bodily fluids, I think you are fine as far as pregnancy. Maybe you should think about birth control before things do go further.

It seems to me your cycle has been fluctuating some in the past. Being 4 days late is no big problem. 28 days is just an average.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
(female)

gmp377 HB User

Yes, my cycle has fluctuated in the past, but I've never missed an entire period or been more than five days late (not in recent memory anyway) and that is what is freaking me out so badly! I will probably take another HPT again in a few days if I do not get my period, but surely the one I took would have been accurate? Those things are usually pretty spot on about detecting pregancy after your missed period, aren't they?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

A HPT extremly rarely gives a false positive but it can give a false negative. As for you being pregnant, from what you've written I would agree with the other post and say its very very unlikely. Stress and environmental factors can both mess with your period and because your thinking about it that won't help. Give it a week I would say and then try another HPT, if its negative and your worried go to your doctor. But I would say that if your stressed and busy then you may just miss one. Thats quite normal, if you keep missing them then its time to go to the doctors.

A great tip though from the other post, call this a warning - sort out the contraceptives as it sounds like things could go further.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
(female)

gmp377 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I took another HPT this morning and it was negative. Then, I made a visit to my gynecologist this afternoon. She asked if I was sexually active and I told her that I had been with my boyfriend, but there was no penetration, etc. She said without intercourse the risk was so low that she did not even want to give me a pregnancy test. I knew it would have been negative anyway because I had just taken one a few hours earlier. She performed the pelvic exam and a digital exam and said that she could not feel anything abnormal, etc. She said that missing a period occassionally or being several days late was nothing out of the ordinary. However, she is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound - I think to make sure my late period is not caused by some physical abnormality, fibroid tumor, cyst, etc.

I've made myself so paranoid thinking I'm pregnant that I still don't feel 100% relief after visiting my doctor. Based upon the negative HPT from this morning and the doctor's comments, is it FINALLY safe to assume I am not pregnant? Also, would the doctor be able to feel a pregnancy while performing the digital exam (fingers inserted in the vagina and other hand pressing down on the lower abdomen)? She said she could feel my ovaries that way, so I am assuming she could also feel if the uterus was enlarged from pregnancy?

One last question: is it normal to feel like there is "air" or "gas" in your lower abdomen after having a pap smear and pelvic exam? I've only had one before this and it was quite some time ago, so I don't really remember what it felt like afterward.

Please give me some advice. I just want to be able to rest easy about this situation. Also, Basswife, the doctor gave me birth control pills today, so this will hopefully not be an issue in the future, if my boyfriend and I go any farther.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Thats really good about the birth control pills, she wouldn't have prescribed them if she thought there was any chance you would be pregnant as they could affect the baby, so your definatly are not pregnant. Yes she would have felt something when she felt your abdomen.

Your probably feeling funny because she had a good poke around down there and it always takes some time to get back to normal. Try not to worry, the next test will show if there is anything wrong and like she said a missed period is quite a normal thing. Take Care of yourself, you did the best thing you could and the next test will put your mind at rest.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
(female)

yuchan6790 HB User

Hi I've been really stressing about my period. Can anyone please help me? I have spina bifida, in a wheelchair. I don't know if my period is regular or irregular because I usually miss it the most is in a month. So my story is like this.

I had my period for July around 16th and it usually lasts for 3 days. Me & my boyfriend had intercourse on the 30th but literally speaking he just went in and went out. I know he didn't climaxed inside but I do know of premature ejaculation too. And no we didn't have any condom.

I was recently rushed to the ER for anxiety attacks and may I add the reason for this is my pregnancy scare. I used a pregnancy test kit around last week it resulted negative. They took my blood sample in the hospital and the nurse told me it also tested negative for pregancy. A few days ago I tried another pregnancy test and it still said negative.

My friend told me I should not worry because all the test I did was accurate enough but my mom's friend whom I confide to told me the test (including the blood sample) was too early to make any accurate results since it has not been 40 days since we did it.

I'm really confused and going paranoid about this. Please help me out. Do you think I'm pregnant or my period is just really delayed since I've been stressing about this 'pregnancy' scare for more than 3 weeks.

Before I forget, my cycle goes like this. Usually for the next month it arrives either a week before or a week after my previous month. Any questions please do email me. I need help.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
(female)

yuchan6790 HB User

I also want to add that I did the pregnancy test on the afternoon of August 12 Thursday the same day I was at the hospital, the same day they took my blood sample. Then I took another pregnancy test exactly on the 16th of August morning.

Thanks hope this info helps and please please do reply

Closed Thread