It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Question How do I get my period back without using a birth control pill?

Hey everyone! For around 5 years, I was on the birth control shot, Depo Provera. Well, it seems like ever since then, even 2 years later, I did not have normal periods. I am currently back on the Depo Provera shot but intend to go off of it soon. I am wanting to find out if there is a way to get my periods to come back without using a birth control pill. I only have 1 or 2 periods a year and they are usually extremely light. I want to be normal again and have a monthly period but I don't want to use a birth control pill. Ovarian cysts run in my family. My mom had them. She also had to a full hysterectomy done while leaving in one ovary partly due to the presence of precancerous cervical cells. Anyway, is there a way to get my period back without using birth control by using some sort of medication that will be covered by Medicaid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: How do I get my period back without using a birth control pill?

Hi,

I would assume that if your periods were regular before you went on the Depo Provera, they should eventually get back to normal after your body has adjusted after you get off of it.

Sometimes the body needs time in order to readjust. If you are concerned about the estrogen in the pill, you can always get off the Depo and go on a progesterone only pill for a little while until your periods are regulated. Then you can go off it and hopefully the regular cycles will continue.

Otherwise, I would just go off the Depo and let the body adjust naturally. It may take some time though so you may have to be patient and be watched by a physician for a while until things get back to normal.

Of course, eating a healthy diet, regular moderate exercise, keeping to a healthy weight and proper sleep (7-8 hours a night) will most definitely help your menstrual cycle to get back to normal.

If all of this does not work, then I would have some things like hormones and your thyroid checked out. This is to make sure that your irregularity is not caused by something else. However, most likely it is the shot and you need to allow your body to take over total hormone control again.

All the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread