It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002, 09:13 AM   #1

cheyanna2 HB User
tubal ligation and birth control?

My hsband and I are planning to have one more child within the next year oe two (we already have 2 kids) and after the baby is born I would like to have m tubes tied. But, after reading many posts, I am finding that many women are having to use birth control pills after having it done for certain reasons/problems. That really concerns me since the whole reason I want it done is to not have to take the pill anymore! Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've doen a good bit of research but would like to hear from people who have actually done it. I want to have plenty of time to make my decision before we have another child.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: tubal ligation and birth control?

Well you can see if your DH will get a vasectomy. Which then you wouldnt have to go through getting your tubes tied and then still having to take bc pills. Also it is easier and safer for men to get a vasectomy than for a woman to get her tubes tied. So that is something to think about. Just remember that even though it is said to be permanent accidents can still happen either way.

Though you should talk to your doctor to see if you would have to. Some women do while others it just depends on how your body will be afterwards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2002, 12:19 PM   #3
Inactive

Lady^ HB User

You mean they are taking the pill as a form of back up birth control? That doesn't make sense. I could understand that some women may still take the pill for other reasons, such as a hormone inbalance which can affect PCOS or acne, or whatever, but not as a backup birth control method. I had my tubes tied this past summer and although my doc did tell me that there is still a very slight chance of getting pregnant (as there is with the pill, a vasectomy, or any b/c) she never told me to use anything as backup.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:59 PM   #4

cheyanna2 HB User

Husband is not willing to get the "snip" which is fine with me because I feel better taking control of the situation myself. Everyone I have heard of that are taking the pill after having their tubes tied aren't taking it for back up reasons, they are taking it due to hormone problems and other conditions that have occured after the surgery.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:35 PM   #5

Adele HB User

My sister got pregnant within a few years after having her tubes tied.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

Here is a good website from the CDC with a study they did on sterilization. It has questions and answers and can probably answer all your questions.

<A HREF="http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/drh/wh_sterilization_Q&A.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/drh/wh_sterilization_Q&A.htm</A>

Old 12-11-2002, 03:23 PM   #7

cheyanna2 HB User

thanks for the website, it helped some. Everything I have read though still doesn't say anything about complications after the surgery. I guess I need to talk to a few doctors and try to find more women who have had it done. As for there still being a chance at getting pregnant after having my tubes tied, the risk is very small, but if it did happen we wouldn't be upset, just surprised.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:39 AM   #8
Inactive

Melamom HB User

There is always a slim chance that you could wind up pregnant after a tubal or after a man has a vasectomy if things don't go quite like they were supposed to. The chance is slim just like it is slim that you will get pregnant on birth control pills. I had my tubes tied 11 years ago and have not had any problems and have never used any type of hormone therapy for any other problems. Hormone use in menopause is a decision only you can decide on with your doctor help. I would say if you are ready for the tubal after the next baby then go ahead and have it done.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:36 AM   #9

~mandy~ HB User

When your not taking the pill (when your trying to concieve) how are you hormonaly? If your hormones are fine than i wouldn't worry about it. I had my tubes tied and i don't need birth controll pills to keep my hormones in check. There is a small chance the tubes could grow back together, but from what my doc and ob have said it's very rare. If you do find that you have hormonal problems i'm sure there are other ways t o deal with it besides birth controll pills, those are just the easiest.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:30 AM   #10

cheyanna2 HB User

Mandy, its hard to say how my hormones are when I am off the pill. I got pregnant with both my daughters within 2 weeks of stopping the pill. I've always been a healthy person and never had any problems with my cycles. Both my pregnancies were very easy and the labors were fast and natural(no drugs). I alwasy thought tubal ligation would be good for me, so basically I just would like to have an idea of everyone that is happy with it or had issues.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:50 AM   #11
Inactive

Melamom HB User

As I pretty much stated before I am happy with my tubal ligation and have had no problems nor anything bad since having it done 11 years ago. We went that route simply because I was willing and they could do it while I was still in the hospital after giving birth. No extra time off or doc visits necessary whereas if my husband had gone for a vasectomy he would have had to take time off from work and make an appointment etc.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:04 AM   #12
Inactive

Lady^ HB User

I don't think that the act of getting your tubes tied will affect your hormones. It's not like getting a hysterectomy.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:05 AM   #13

~mandy~ HB User

i only got my 4months ago, after i had my daughter (they did it durring a c section), i have had no problems with hormones, although i haven't had a period yet, but the doc said it's most likely because i'm breast feeding. like the other poster has said tying your tubes should not affect hormones, all that is changed is the egg cannot get from the ovaries to the uterus.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:26 AM   #14

Adele HB User

Also, you could get an etopic pregnancy because the egg is still released each month and may get caught on the way and may develop if sperm reach it.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:56 AM   #15

cheyanna2 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna do a lot of thinking before I make my decision.

Closed Thread