It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2002, 08:55 PM   #1

LilSmalls HB User
period and depo

alright so i've been on my depo shot for about 2 years now. and i've noticed huge mood swings, low sex drive and what not. i talked to my dor and she said it more than likely isn't the depo but stress. at the time i thought she was right because of somethings going on it work. but now i am really happy. but still have a few moments a day were i am moody. my boyfriend and i have been together for two 1/2 years and recently i've been pushing him away from sex. like i don't want anything done me and i don't want to do anything. it never was like that before i always had a normal sex drive. also toward the end of my last depo month i notice i just bleed a little and i'll be ok for like 2-3 and then him and i will have sex and i'l bleed the next day. then be ok until we have sex its really wierd. And now i think he thinks i'm lying to him about.
can anyone help me out?
thanks,

Old 12-02-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: period and depo

Your doctor was lying to you. Here go read this post. <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum102/HTML/000699.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum102/HTML/000699.html</A>
I have a post there that lists the side effects of Depo. The list I got fromt he Depo Provera site itself. There are links from other posts in which other women have had Depo and what has gone on with them.

Depo can really do some mean things to your body to say the least. Read the posts there. Remember even if you stop Depo these side effects can continue for as long 18 months or even longer(I fell in that area). I also suffered from infertility thanks to Depo. Our second son took over 3 years to conceive and that was even with help from various doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2002, 11:02 AM   #3

i need a name HB User

i agree 100% that doctor is lying... i was on those #$#@*#&* shots. they are awful!! that is just what they did to me. and they STOPPED my periods and made me look about 6 mos preg all the time. i was a mess.

as for the sex drive issue... think aboutit. these shots are what they give sex offenders when they chemicly chasterate them. IT KILLS THE SEX DRIVE!!!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:37 AM   #4
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User

GET OFF THE DEPO! Anyone else want to explain why a 22 yr old woman would not be pregnant after 2 yrs of being off birth control. I was on the shot for a yr and a half and am now thoroughly f-ed up from it.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #5

llalucas HB User

I've been on Depo now for 3 years and have had no side effects,but the last shot I had is actually going to be the last because I plan on having more children. My Doc recommends to get off it after 5 years. It's true that it effects your fertility but you won't become infertile forever. If you want to conceive it may take months or up to a couple of years. Everybody is different. Some people may have no side effects or many. The thing I like best about it is not having to put up with a messy period every month!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

llalucas,coming from someone who had to deal with infertility thanks to Depo trust me it isnt as easy as you make it sound. Also to you a couple of years may not mean much but to me a couple of years stretched into over 3 years. I havea freind that currently is on yr 7 of no kids after Depo. A friend back in my home state is on yr 10 of no kids after Depo. I can go on and on about women who are years after Depo who havent had more kids even though they want them. I even know of one woman who is on yr 12 now. She has actually given up on giving her daughter a blood sibling and moved on to adoption because a "couple of years" has just gotten to be too much for her.
There are several websites for women that are dealing with infertility after depo. There are cases where it has appeared to be permanent. I mean come on this is the same drug that some countries use to cause sterility in women. They just use a higher dose and that woman is done having kids. It has been used to chemically casturate sex offenders. Kind of scary once you think about that.
So for you and many other women it can be good but there are those of us who cant look at Depo with such an up beat outlook since we have seen what is can do.
I hope your doctor did inform you of the bone denisty side effect that Depo has. If not then you might want to go to the Depo Provera sight and read about it. It is best to make sure you are getting a good multi-vitamin with calicum to help make sure your body doesnt suffer from that side effect.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:37 AM   #7

llalucas HB User

To Blastoff9600, When I spoke of the infertility issue, I was just going by what I was told by my doctor. I asked him how long it would take for my fertility to return and his answer was it could return in a month or up to a couple of years. I guess he was wrong. Like I said before, everybody's system is different. For the past year I have been a bit weary about taking it even though I haven't had any bad side effects. I didn't realize that it could take MANY years for fertility to return. I hope it doesn't happen to me. I have always been told good things about it. I never knew of all the bad things about it.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran

Temperamental HB User

I'm a 30 year old woman who has had 2 depo shots and I am going off it to try and get pregnant next year. MOST women get pregnant within, at the very most, 18 months. I read a few horror stories on depo and called my gyno and asked some questions all freaking out. He said these major complex fertility problems in some women after depo, many were probably there before the depo even started. If a woman has a regular cycle before Depo, the cycle will eventually start up once you quit Depo. If Provera and Clomid still do nothing in helping ovulation or cycles,the problem probably goes deeper than depo provera. My DR. told me that most of his patients have gotten prego after Depo in a reasonable time, many within 6 months.

My advice to anyone out there trying to get prego, try not to read into any negative remarks and focus on the positive. There is always going to be a horror story linked to any birth control. Some women state the side effects of depo are intolerable. I haven't had hardly any but some slight acne.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #9

RedOnTheHead HB User

It sounds to me like everyone posting that has taken the depo shot didn't do their homework on it before deciding to take it. It's not the doctors responsibility to educate you. They should give you relevant info but it's your job as a patient to manage your care. I've been on the depo shot since 1997 and I LOVE IT. I've never come across anything better. I have Lupus and cannot take the pill and I'm very fortunate that me and the shot get a long very well. However, there are others that experience all the side effects and are totally miserable while they're on it. That's just the way things go.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:48 PM   #10
Veteran

Temperamental HB User

I forgot to add, the depo provera website and instructions indicate it is not recommended if you want to get pregnant within 1 year. This is my bad as I first used the shot several years ago, went off it becuase my insurance company quit paying for it and I remember getting my periods back immed..Back then I had no desire to get prego. So now that I've been off b/c for a couple years-just used condoms-i immediately wnet back on the shot now that my insurance covers it again without stopping and thinking if I want to get prego anytime soon. Hopefully I'll get my cycle back again within a couple months.

Old 12-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redonthehead,I actually did my research on Depo before I got on it. I knew that fertility could take up to 18 months to return. I also knew there would be some weight gain. Though no where did I find that 50 pounds worth of weight in 6 months would occur. I was exercising like crazy and eating very little at the time. So where the weight came from there is no clue.

Also for the Temperamental. I had no infertility issues before Deop. My first son was born before I got on Depo and I had no problems getting pregnant with him. We werent even trying. The other women that I know who have had problems with fertility after Depo for the most part are like me. If you read my post you will see the women I mentioned all had kids before Depo. It was only after Depo did they run into infertility issues.
My period returned no problem about two or three months after I stopped Depo. My ovulation also returned just fine. Yes some doctors dont beleive taht Depo can cause infertility. Which I think is BS because other countries use it to sterilze women there. It is used in sex offenders.

Depo can have long term effects(past what the company says) on one's fertility. Granted it doesnt happen to all women but it does happen to more than it should.
Also the Bone Density thing is a new thing that came out in the past two years.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran

Temperamental HB User

Depo Provera has been found to curb "deviant sexual behaviors" in some sex offenders. It is being done in 4 states as an alternative to actual castration. The FDA is very strict on approving drugs and keeping them on the shelves. If there was a huge permanent infertility rate it would be off the shelves. I'm not trying to argue your fact that yes, there are some women that are having problems, but the % is very low.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

It isnt as low and you think or have been lead to believe. There are actually many drugs that stay on the shelves just because some companies can shell out enough money that they can stay available. Also there are legal loop holes that some companies use also.
Look at Norplant,it was available for years even though many,many doctors knew it was causing problems with many women. Now that company is having to deal with lawsuits like crazy. There was even recalls on Norplant. There is now even talk of getting rid of it all together.
Shall we talk about Fen-Phen. That passed through the FDA and low and behold look what happened with it.
So just because it gets approved doesnt mean that it wont cause harm to those that use it. Granted when it gets approved it means it shouldnt cause harm. But most times the long term effects arent closely studied since so many people know what things to do to get the approval done.

I have had three different infertility doctors tell me that they wish it would be taken off the market. One of those doctors even let me know I was one of thrity women he had seen in the past year that were dealing with secondary infertility after being on Depo. In case you dont know seconardy infertility is where a woman has one or more children without infertility issues but the second or whatever number some infertility issues do pop up.
I am not saying the rate is huge but it is enough that there should be some serious consideration and more studies done. Infertility is not something any woman should have to go through especailly if it maybe caused by a form of birth control.

Old 12-13-2002, 08:32 PM   #14

KimWantsABaby HB User

My best friend took Depo for 2 years and got pregnant about 6-7 months after stopping the shot. It took her a few months to get her period back then she was able to start trying. I think it reacts differently to people and I've read that really petite women will react much stronger to the shot.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #15

RedOnTheHead HB User

We can sit here all day and tell stories of friends of friends that have infertility problems and find any drug to place blame on. The point is, taking any form of medication is a decision to be made by the patient and every decision should be an educated one. Life is full of risks and those risks are always weighed against your specific life situations. Medicine is and always will be a practice to find a better solution to ailments or conditions. I'll always defend the depo shot because it works wonders for me; just like some of you will always knock the shot because it didn't work for you. Keep in mind when someone is asking for sound advice that what worked or didn't work for one person could be a life saver for another. Just wait, it'll only be a matter of time before claims start coming forth on that new birth control patch. The FDA can approve something however they do not know the actual problems until humans begin to take the meds on a daily basis. Medicine requires an open mind.

Closed Thread