It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2000, 02:09 AM   #1

karen HB User
"buttered biscuits' smell

I know this sounds odd, but what is the significance of a discharge smelling like "buttered biscuits"? I am not kidding. I am 44, on HRT, having periods every six months or so for the last 3 years. Married 25 years (same man), 2 adult children. My doctor says it is a problem with an atypical type of yeast infection that comes along with the perimenopausal years. I treat with yeast infection cream and it ceases for a month or so, then comes right back. Any ideas?

Old 11-14-2000, 06:11 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: "buttered biscuits' smell

a couple of things might help- #1 if you are using a 3 day treatment to clear it up switch to the 7 day treatment. My doctor told me that they are more effective. #2 if you are using any type of scented douche or pads stop they can through off your natural balance and cause more infections. My ob says that the only type of douche that should be used is the old fashioned bedadine (i just know I spelled that wrong) solution. good luck and if those don't work, try getting a second opinion to make sure everything is OK.

Steph/Cranlite

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2000, 08:01 AM   #3

karen HB User

Thanks for responding. I always use the 7-day and I have never used any douche or scented pads, tampons etc. But it was a good try--this is a real weird thing.

Old 12-05-2000, 09:21 PM   #4

Tamara HB User

Hello! I read your post about the atypical recurrent yeast infection and was wondering if you have had your glucose levels checked lately? If diabetes runs in your family, it may explain these recurrences. Just a thought.

Old 12-06-2000, 06:36 PM   #5

karen HB User

Thanks again, but no diabetes runs in the family and due to another problem--celiac sprue--I have to have blood tests run very often. The sugar levels are always ok. Thanks for trying!!

Old 12-12-2000, 10:57 PM   #6

FD HB User

I'll second taking the 7 day vaginal insert medication, but along with that, try taking active culture pills (similar to what is in yogurt) along with eating yogurt. I just posted this in answer to a different question, but it works here too: The things you want to look for in yogurt are active cultures, the more varieties in one yogurt the better. In pill form, you look for acidophillus, bulgaricus and bifidum (or bifudous) strains. The pills are rather expensive (if you can find one with all three, it's about 35 bucks for a month worth), but they bring your body back into balance really quickly, along with daily servings of yogurt.

If you kill off everything in your uterus with the medication to treat the yeast, the balance is all wrong in your system, and taking the cultures in pill form will help balance it back out. I was having recurrent yeast for 5 months, giving me that same smell, but it was also very atypical in that it never itched like yeast or looked like yeast. But every time I went in, it was yeast under a microscope.

Over the course of 5 months, my doc had me take the one day pill, nothing. Then the three day vaginal treatment, nothing. Then finally the seven day, nothing. After a month, I tried the seven day treatment again (with my gyn's approval), and took the pills and ate yogurt during and after the treatment. I've been fine ever since.

Your mileage may totally vary. But I thought it was worth a shot.

Old 01-02-2001, 10:45 PM   #7

Thai HB User

The old yeast free diet or I think it's been renamed as the carbo. addics diet or the low carb. diet is a really good thing to try for a yeast infection.
I suffered with them along with massive mood swings for a long time then I tried a yeast free diet to control it. After two days the itching and discharge had almost dissapeared completely. You need to stick to a strict diet for at lest 3 weeks and then slowly relax it over 3 months. It is not an easy diet but it will get rid of your yeast infection for sure.
You can either get a good (can't stress the word good enough) book on subject, look for a yeast free diet book by a real dietition, or go to a natupath they can be expensive but a good one will test your blood and check it for signs of a candida infection. This is done while you sit there it's facinating.
Good luck,
Thai

Closed Thread