It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
High blood pressure and birth control

There is a debate between my internist and my gyn. My internist says that I absolutely CANNOT get on type of oral contraceptive, including the Depo shot or the patch because of my high blood pressure. My gyn says that some pills are for women who have high blood pressure, but my internist disagrees.

Just a little background: I am 27. I was diagnosed with HBP around age 20. Consequently, I went to Planned Parenthood to get on BCP and that's when they discovered that I had HBP so they couldn't give them to me. I absolutely HATE condoms, but I HAVE to use them because I have no other choice. Do any of you have HBP and are on oral contraceptives?

Old 12-11-2002, 02:15 PM   #2

Adele HB User
Re: High blood pressure and birth control

My gyno refuses to allow me to be on BCP even though my blood pressure goes up and down at will and I'm not on any medical for that. Synthetic hormones supposedly cause your blood pressure to rise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2002, 12:33 AM   #3
Inactive

Melamom HB User

What is the cause of your HTN? They need to figure out the cause and work on treating the cause of your elevated blood pressure instead of just treating the elevated blood pressure. There are many other forms of birth control to choose from too such as an IUD, vaginal contraceptive film, foams as well as suppositories. If you internest feels it is ok for you to use BC pills with your HTN then I see no reason not to if that is what you would like to do. Is there a specific reason you are seeing a GYN? Your internist well qualified to handle all of you health needs so there really isn't a big need to see a GYN unless there is medical condition that your internist wants you to see a GYN doc for.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melamom:
<B>What is the cause of your HTN? They need to figure out the cause and work on treating the cause of your elevated blood pressure instead of just treating the elevated blood pressure. There are many other forms of birth control to choose from too such as an IUD, vaginal contraceptive film, foams as well as suppositories. If you internest feels it is ok for you to use BC pills with your HTN then I see no reason not to if that is what you would like to do. Is there a specific reason you are seeing a GYN? Your internist well qualified to handle all of you health needs so there really isn't a big need to see a GYN unless there is medical condition that your internist wants you to see a GYN doc for. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi. When I was first diagnosed with HBP, they ran extensive blood work, EKG's and chest x-rays. Nothing was found as the cause, however my mother, father, grandmother and grandfather all have HBP, so hereditary was ruled as the cause of it. My internist is the one who doesn't want me on the pill, but my gyn says that there are pills for women with HBP.

I started going to a gyn when I became sexually active and to get my yearly paps. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. At that particular time, I didn't have an internist, just my pediatrician and I felt too old to go to him. I began going to an internist when I started having blood pressure problems.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:56 AM   #5
Inactive

Melamom HB User

Thanks for the clarification. Since no definate cause was found for you HTN then it is pretty much up to you whether you try birth control pills or not. Since the GYN feels you can safetly do this then why not try one of the pills. You can monitor your blood pressure at home with a home monitoring kit and if it causes and increases in your blood pressure then report that to the GYN and let him try a different medication. If you don't already monitor your blood pressure routinely at home then you may want to monitor it for a couple of weeks before starting birth control just so you have a baseline set of blood pressures to use as your guide in determining if the pill is causing problems for you.

Closed Thread