It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 AM   #1

Adele HB User
ibuprofen causes high blood pressure

I just read that researchers have found that ibuoprofen (including most any pain reliever) can cause high blood pressure if used regularly for a couple of years. A few years ago I started taking prescription strength ibu (800 mg.) for very painful periods, and within a couple of years developed high blood pressure but am currently not on any medication for this. There is no one in my family who has high blood pressure so it isn't heredity. I can't take birth control pill to control my painful periods because that too causes high blood pressure and of course now they find is also dangerous to your heart. So now on top of having long heavy periods that can't be controlled, I have to now be in pain. Aspirin is not good to take because it causes you to bleed even more so (as it is a blood thinner). What is a woman to do? Isn't there anything that isn't harmful to us? Why can't we be helped without the medications harming us even more?

Old 11-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Re: ibuprofen causes high blood pressure

Ibuprofen doesn't generally cause high blood pressure and it is also not really hereditary either. Your painful periods need to be evaluated to find out what is causing them and get this taken care of if there is a specific cause such as endometriosis. Also since you worry about Ibuprofen and Aspirin side effects why not try Naproxen? This works well for most people and is available in the same isle as your other pain medications. Your first priority though is getting the periods evaluated and then let the doc figure out what your best treatment is. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 06:46 AM   #3
Unregistered

Re: ibuprofen causes high blood pressure

Yes, I agree that period pains can be caused by hormone imbalances, but it is rubbish to say that you have to wait until the menopause to re-balance your hormones . You can re-balance hormones by using diet and other supplemental measures. It is all to do with what your body runs short of before and during your periods and if this is corrected, then you should not get the problems at all, or they should be minimal. It is all to do with cause and effect. If you treat the underlying cause, which is obviously the inbalance in your hormones, then you will not have your problem anymore. However, if you keep pill popping, then you are only treating symptoms, rather than dealing with the cause and I have to say that treating symptoms can also sometimes create more symptoms that then need to be treated, such as high blood pressure in your case.

I would recommend that you go and see an ND rather than an MD. They have the same training as MD's, but are also trained in natural therapies too. If you have endomentriosis, they will be able to diagnose this and help you rebalance your hormones naturally before the menopause. You do not have to wait and suffer in the meantime.

Closed Thread