It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2001, 09:06 PM   #1

my2cents4sure HB User
estrogen implant pellet problems

I'd like to know if anyone else ever had bad side effects from estrogen pellets implanted in the abdomen?

1996--age 42, got a new GYN. I complained of fatigue. He did bloodwork and said it was low estrogen. Told me I needed estrogen and the best way to do it was pellets implanted every few months under the skin of the abdomen. He said many of his patients had this and loved it and they now felt great. As I was having normal periods (nonpainful, uneventful, regular), he added 10 days of progesterone each month. He said pellets were still considered experimental, so I signed a paper acknowledging this. However, nothing was really said about side effects--and certainly not be the GYN at any time that I saw him.

The only checks the GYN ever did was blood levels of estrogen. When I constantly complained of bloating, soreness, weight gain, and still being tired and depressed, he kept saying "hang in there"! At one point, I was in such distress he gave me a small dosage of tamoxifen. He did no other checkups.

After 8 or so months I couldn't stand how my body felt and stopped seeing the GYN. My periods, though, were now not regular, and another GYN put me on some ovcon to try to straighten things out. Periods were still irregular. After some few months, we discovered a 2-inch fibroid. (Turns out it wasn't anywhere that it would have caused bleeding). Irregular bleeding continued throughout the next year and a half.

Cut to the chase: The bleeding got heavier, and we found it was actually due to uterine polyps, finally diagnosed in February. (December biopsy was misread.) Had surgery in March. Today, periods are regular but very painful as we discovered I also now have adenomyosis. Sometimes I have to leave work now the first day or two of my period. I definitely have estrogen dominance.

I don't buy the theory one MD gave me, that "Oh, you were going to have all these problems anyway, you were in your 40s." None of these problems run in the family on either side to our knowledge.

Has anyone out there also had problems due to pellet implants? Was there ever any litigation done? I'm resentful, not that my original GYN used the pellets, but that he kept urging me to stick with them, while never testing to ensure they weren't doing any damage. Plus he insisted there were no bad side effects, that soon I was going to feel great. That's what really bugs me.

I'd like to see if anyone else has successfully taken any action against GYNs or manufacturers of the pellets. As I sit here in pain (though Ibuprofen helps some) during my period, well, call me bitter. And I'm not sure I could prove malpractice (gee, maybe all these things were going to happen to me out of the blue exactly when I was undergoing the treatment...) But I'd give it a try if I thought there was a chance.

Anyone have any comments or similar stories?

Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread