It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2001, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Rosemary HB User
Breast size and milk production

I am curious to know if women with large breasts can produce more milk than women with small breasts. I heard in sex ed. that small breasts produce just as much as big ones. I think that they may be trying to make small breasted girls feel OK about their bodies. Maybe this is just my own vanity but I have extremely large breasts and I can't believe that someone who wears an A-cup can produce as much as someone like me. If someone out there knows about this please post something. If large breasts don't make more milk, then why to some girls have them?

Old 06-04-2001, 08:31 PM   #2

dgbal HB User
Re: Breast size and milk production

A large breasted woman can have a low milk supply and so can a small breasted woman. The key is supply and demand. The more frequently the breast are emptied the more the body demands the breast to produce an increased milk supply. It is not based on size.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2001, 08:07 AM   #3

redfox HB User

There is no relationship to breast size and milk production. A large breasted woman just has more breast tissue, but not more milk glands. As said earlier, supply and demand has a lot to do with it. I was a small 34B when I had my son. When my milk came in, I swelled to a 40DD. There was plenty of milk!

Old 06-05-2001, 11:52 AM   #4

Babernethy HB User

It is also interesting to note that large breasted women tend to develop mastitis more often than smaller ones...possibly due to the extra tissue and gravitational pull on the extra weight. My wife had it 2 or 3 times with both her pregnacies...very painful. My cousin who is also rather large had it also a couple times. The doctor told my wife that it IS indeed more common for 38+ women than smaller ones to develop this irritation!
B

Old 06-05-2001, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

sdp HB User

Wow redfox, you went from a B to a DD!! My wife is a 34B and I think she went to a C with our 2 children. She nursed our kids 6 mo and 1yr so there was always plenty of milk.

She always loved the full look and larger size when she was nursing. But they went back down to a B afterwards. Just curious. Do the breasts return to their former size after nursing for most women?

Old 06-05-2001, 12:38 PM   #6

redfox HB User

Hi SDP. Unfortunately for me, my breasts were a wreck when I was done nursing. I was extremely small and thin at the time, and, like I said, I ballooned to a 40DD. Ouch. After nursing, they were all stretched out and saggy. I ended up getting a boob job a year ago to get a more youthful, proportionate look. However, I don't regret nursing at all.

Old 06-05-2001, 02:34 PM   #7
(female)

Rosemary HB User

redfox,
What do you mean by saying "A large breasted woman just has more breast tissue, but not more milk glands." Do you mean that the glands are bigger but there are the same number of them? Won't larger glands make more milk? By "demand" do you mean that even a small breast will expand to meet the demand for milk?

Old 06-05-2001, 04:08 PM   #8

redfox HB User

Hi. I don't want to sound patronizing, so if I'm explaining this too simply, please don't take it wrong. So here goes. Breasts are primarily milk glands and fat. When I said "breast tissue," I guess I was just trying to say "fat" in a more polite way. Small breasted women have the same amount of milk glands that large breasted women have. When prenant, your hormones activate these milk glands and they develop and get larger in all women. There are all sorts of reasons why some women are successful at breast feeding and some aren't. Some reasons for problems are: a baby that doesn't "latch on" and feed well right away. This is perceived as "lack of demand" by the mother's body, and her glands slow down their milk production. Also other things, like poor diet, can influence milk production. Have you seen some moms that breast feed their kids until they're a year or older? They can do that because when their breasts are emptied of milk, it's a signal to the mother's body to keep producing lots of milk. When a woman wants to quit nursing, she'll start substitute some of the breast feedings with bottle feedings. Since the breast isn't emptied of it's milk, it sends a signal to her body to slow down the production. That's what I mean by supply and demand. But whether you have more or less fat in your breasts shouldn't dictate your milk production. Hope I helped...

p.s. - you wanted to know why, if larger breasts don't produce more, then why do some girls have them. It's just body type. Often really lean women have flat chests simply because they don't have a lot of body fat. Also, some people believe that curvy breasts and hips on women are like broad shoulders on men-- it's an evolutionary signal to the opposite sex-- just like a buck deer has those big horns that attract all the does. It's just nature at work. <p>[This message has been edited by redfox (edited 06-05-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001, 06:55 PM   #9
(female)

Rosemary HB User

redfox,
Thank you for your post. You don't sound patronizing and I appreciate your honesty. It helps me to get things in perspective.
Thanks,
Rose Vasquez

Closed Thread