It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2002, 09:13 PM   #1

LilSmalls HB User
? on birth control

I've been reading some past post and from it looks like you know a lot about birth control type of things.
I had no idea Depo had such probelms. I talked to my Dr. and she said that the Depo is really the only birth control that won't mess with your hormons. So I took her word for it. I have been on the shot for about 2 years now and the low sex drive and mood swings kicked in around april or so of this month.
I only get in these moods around my boyfriend (of 2 years) and I love him so much and he tries so hard to get me in the mood and i just push him away. I am really afriad of loosing him over this. Even though he has been putting up with me. But I don't think he thinks its the shot anymore. I think he feels there is something wrong with me in my head and that i don't care about him anymore.
I would really like to beable to switch my birth control type, but i don't know which would be best to ask to go on. The wemen on my moms side suffer from depression as well and i'm trying to stay as far away from that as I can.
Since my dr. apparnetly lied to me when I asked her about it. I'd like to go to her next week and know what i am talking about. So if you have any advice I would really like to hear from you.
Thanks,
Danielle

Old 12-05-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: ? for : Blastoff9600

My Dh was like your Bf when it came to sex during the time I was on Depo. I am one of those women that is basically a sex freak,I have to have it and as often as possible. But for the six months I was on the shot and for about 10 months after I stopped getting it I didnt want anything to do with sex. DH would touch me and I would turn and walk out of the room. I felt horrible for him because I wasnt the woman he married those 16 months. I am surprised he put up with it even to this day.

Go to the Depo Provera webiste and print out the information there about the side effects. Take them to your doctor and ask her why she didnt tell you that Depo does in fact mess with one's hormones. Once you show her the information from the company's own site I am sure she will be honest with you.

As for other options that can vary. The Nova Ring and the Patch are suppose to be easier to handle since one doesnt take them orally. So they dont tend to have as harsh side effects as bc pills.
There is the IUD(normally used in women who have kids but can be used in women who havent had kids). It is different but tends to provide rather good protection.
I myself suffer from depression so I can understand about the pill. I had to switch mine and found that Loestrin(sp?) was a good one for me. That is when I was taking it.
If your doctor doesnt want to listen to you or explain why she told that Depo wont effect your hormonally then I strongly suggest you find another doctor. I know it can be hard at times to find a new doctor but you truly need one with yoru bests interests in mind.

You can do a search online and look at the various birth control sites and then look over the info there. It will take a bit of work but it will pay off in the end. I would love to post the sites here myself but I cant. A search will turn up quite a few good ones to look over. You can type in the form of BC you want to look for and it will get you closer to your goal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2002, 11:26 PM   #3

LilSmalls HB User

Thank you for taking the time to write me back. I read some of the post from past girls you have answered and I can't believe how many people were disaponited with the depo. I will defenitly talk to my dr. again. I was taking to a friend of mine about the patch and she said it was wonderful. But now I will really do my homework on things before jummping into it like I did with the depo. Do you know anything about it or have any ideas about other birth controls that might work for me?
thanks,
danielle

Old 12-08-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cant really help you with what would be good for you except to say that doing a search online and then comparing what you read to other sites and such.
*********** is a great search engine to use.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:30 AM   #5
Inactive

Melamom HB User

You might also consider trying the Vaginal contraceptive film if you don't mind having to insert this before sex. The more I hear and read about the depo shot the more I think it should be taken off the market as it seems like the docs don't tell their patients enough about how many peoples lives have been messed up by it.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive

DSW67 HB User

When I was on Depo, it really sent me on an emotional rollercoaster. My mood swings were fast and dramatic. My bestfriend threatened me if even mentioned going back on the shot after she though I was through. I was not a fun person to be around. I have been off the shot for about 3 years now. My mood are back to a nice even keel.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Melamom actually those dont provide as much protection as they boost of. It is just a form of spemicide and some studies that came out abut two years ago showed the spermicide alone is not good protection from pregnancy. Now if one choose to use VCF then condoms have to be used also. Then it is a bit of a hassle considering one has to make sure to put it in 10 to 15 mintues before intercourse. Granted one culd put it in before that time but then one would have to worry that if your partner is going to taste anything different if he were to do oral sex.

There was about a year ago a petition to get Depo taken off the market(I signed it of course) but that was a year ago and I havent heard much since then.

Closed Thread