It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

GoldenShores HB User
Exclamation Possible Fibroadenoma?

Yesterday I leant my arm across my chest because I was reaching for something. I noticed it felt a little sore so I investigated. On my left breast, towards the bottom, I noticed I can feel a lump. It's quite large and is moveable. I was freaking myself out last night thinking the worst, then I did some research and discovered it could be a Fibroadenoma. I know the doctors know best and will be able to tell me exactly what it is, but I cannot make an appointment today obviously since it's a Sunday... Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else had ever had a Fibroadenoma and are prepared to share their experiences?

Thank you.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Possible Fibroadenoma?

I had a mammogram and ultrasound in February and the US revealed a lump in my right breast. My doctor said to monitor it and to have another US in six months. I had the second ultrasound on Sept 28. Apparently there are two lumps (that was also in the first US) and they have grown a bit since February. So, now I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow because my GP said they needed to be removed. The radiologist report suggests fibroadenoma or other benign lump. At the same time, this is the same radiologist who kept putting the word osteomyelitis (bone infection) in my post surgical foot x-rays. (there was no bone infection)

Right now I am not particularly concerned. Perhaps dissociation is working for me. Also, this time last year I sweating and worrying about foot surgery that I had on October 28, 2009 and all the worry was unecessary. My foot has healed well, and the surgery really was not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I will wait and see what the surgeon says tomorrow. I was able to get this appointment quickly, so I anticipate the surgery will be fairly soon. My mother had breast cancer that started with a lump, so I imagine that will bump me up the list. She was 60 when she had her lump. I am 53. She took hormone replacement for many years. I have not.

Last edited by Northwind; 10-18-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

GoldenShores HB User

Thank you for your reply!

I hope everything goes okay for you when you get your appointment. Thanks for letting me know about the US involved.

Look after yourself!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Thanks GoldenShores.

I understand that ultrasound is the main way to diagnose these things. I am not even sure if mine showed up on the mammogram.

Have you been able to make an appointment with your GP?

Last edited by Northwind; 10-18-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

GoldenShores HB User

I didn't have a chance today, but I am going to make the appointment tomorrow.

I usually don't like doctors, or the thought of letting them feel around that area, but anything to put my mind at rest!! I've been freaking out in case it is something worse, but then again I am only 19, so fingers crossed it is just something like a fibroadenoma.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi GoldenShores, I did not realize your age. Apparently these tumours/cysts/whatever are fairly common in young women. I had one removed when I was 18. It was quite large, and not a big deal at all.

Let me know how it goes for you. Get that checked out! Put your mind at ease.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I have one, they have looked at it for years cause they weren't sure what it was, finally did a biopsy. I was told that these do not become cancerous, so if that is what it is proved to be, you could just leave it alone unless it causes discomfort.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had my appointment with the surgeon this week and it went well. He reviewed the ultrasounds and the mammogram and did an exam. He said that I had two choices, remove the tumours or leave them. He agreed that they are benign and explained the difference in appearance and behaviour between benign and malignant. He said that removing them is an option but that it will leave scar tissue and would make screening more difficult in the future. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between breast cancer and scar tissue. I chose to leave it for now. I will get annual ultrasounds to monitor it, and mammograms every two years. I am comfortable with his recommendations and my decision.

Closed Thread