It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

worrier2010 HB User
Back to square one with gynecological problems

Ive basically had abnormal periods since started them at 11 which. By irregular I mean they differ in how far apart they are each time (shortest gap was about 4 days and longest 7 weeks), how heavy they are each time (from traces of blood in discharge to fairly heavy), to how long they last (from 5 to 12 days). They are usually much too frequent and long as oppose to being very far apart. I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the bleeding being frequent periods or spotting really they are so irregular which was one of things that really got me worried. I've never been on the pill or any other kind of hormonal birth control. I've also had pain each time have sex and I always bleed afterwards.

Went to the docs and had an internal exam done by two different docs, they couldnt feel anything abnormal inside but exclaimed over how red (rde raw apparently), and that the discharge was excessive, they did tests for thrush and various infections (twice) but all came back negative. I had my first ever Smear test about 2 weeks later (Im 26) at my docs recommendation. The test showed I had mild changes, and was told I have to go back in 6 months for another one! Cant really believe its abnormal, lets just say cervical cancer must be down to other things as well as HPV, cos only had sex for the first time 4 months before having the Smear, hence why Id never gone before!! Plus I dont have risk factors associated with cervical cancer either i.e. theres nothing wrong with my immune system, dont smoke, no family history etc.

My doc then did blood tests. The blood test came back with testosterone elevated above normal levels for a woman, so the doc said probs PCOS, and arranged for a transvaginal ultrasound, although she did point out that PCOS wouldnt explain, redness, discharge or pain during sex, but just left that open
The smear results coupled with the abnormal blood tests and the abnormal bleeding, pain during sex, redness and disharge had me a complete wreck as the symptoms are so consistant with various types of gynecological cancers.

I had the ultrasound this morning, abdominal and vaginal. Overall the experience was not too bad! The abdominal ultasound was fine, the vaginal one hurt quite a bit, but I also have alot of pain even during an internal exam so I was expecting this. She said my ovaries and uterus look in perfect shape. The ovaries are classed as being polycystic if they are enlarged to a size bigger than ten, one of my was five and the other was a three, so no prob there. The little bumps on them all looked like a text book ovary as well, so she said there is not a chance of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Nor does my uterus show any sign ofabnormality of the lining etc!

I really wanted a polycystic ovary diagnosis as this would have gone some way to explaining my symptoms but now im kind of back to square one!

Not sure what is going to happen from here, I can imagine my GP saying all my probs are just the way I am!
- I have excessive discharge and internal redness but no infection or thrush etc
- I have highly irregular and overly frequent and long periods, pain during intercourse and bleeding directly after each time I have intercourse, but have been told theres no way its polycystic ovary syndrome or endometriosis given the ultrasound.
- My smear test a month ago was abnormal but my doc said this couldnt be the cause of the symptoms as the cell changes are only mild, though im scared thinking about them being abnormal on my first ever smear that the changes must be aggressive (even though they were stated as mild at the moment) and the fact I dont see how they could have been caused by HPV
- My blood test was abnormal but, the only really significant things seemed to be the high testosterone levels, which is a pretty scary finding now that I know they're not caused by PCOS

Im worried cos now dont know at all what is causing all of my symptoms and all the nice simple explanations seem to have been exhaused, not sure if a gynecologist referral is now what id need?? In addition now worried why the high testosterone levels were found if def dont have polycystic ovaries. Dr Google sites othr causes of high testosterone in women as being caused by adrenal cancer!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Back to square one with gynecological problems

Well, you certainly have several things to sort out. You really should see a gyno. THey are much better trained in these areas than GPs. Also, all women over the age of 21 and all women who are sexually active prior to that age should have regular gyno check ups. The fact that you were not sexually active till 26 has nothing to do with whether or not you should have an annual exam and Pap.

All that being said, is there some reason over the years that you did not try birth control pills? They are often used to regulate periods and I am surprised even your GP didn't suggest them.

But bottom line, you do need to see a gyno ASAP.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

worrier2010 HB User
Re: Back to square one with gynecological problems

Hi thanks for your reply. In the UK you cant see a gyno unless there is a specific problem and you are referred, so I might ask to be referred and see if my GP will go for it.

Ive never been sexually active so never tried birth control for this reason really. I know it would regulate my periods but thats just masking the symptoms as oppose to treating them. The only hormonal imbalance Ive been shown to have is too much testosterone which Ive always assumed would porobs make periods infrquent not too frquent as I experience but I may be wrong on this.

Last edited by worrier2010; 10-19-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Closed Thread