It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

milo0 HB User
Thumbs down No Period/Not Pregnant/Raised Prolactin level in blood work...

I'm 27 years old & thought I knew my body pretty well up until the past 2 months. Here are my symptoms:

No period since August 13, 2010-3 blood tests & many urine tests all show not pregnant.

Hormone blood work was normal except for a raised level of Prolactin (34 is my level)

The past two months I have suffered sever headaches on & off ( very similar to migranes), lower abdomenal pain after sex, extreme lower back pain that comes & goes, tiredness, weight gain, & for about 2 weeks after my last period in august had a terrible break out on my face, kneck & back...also I have a very low sex drive lately.

I have read online and came across pcos..tumors in pituitary glands..and a laundry list of other possibilities..I just feel like no one can give me a straight answer...hoping that someone out here can offer some advice?

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: No Period/Not Pregnant/Raised Prolactin level in blood work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo0 View Post
I'm 27 years old & thought I knew my body pretty well up until the past 2 months. Here are my symptoms:

No period since August 13, 2010-3 blood tests & many urine tests all show not pregnant.

Hormone blood work was normal except for a raised level of Prolactin (34 is my level)

The past two months I have suffered sever headaches on & off ( very similar to migranes), lower abdomenal pain after sex, extreme lower back pain that comes & goes, tiredness, weight gain, & for about 2 weeks after my last period in august had a terrible break out on my face, kneck & back...also I have a very low sex drive lately.

I have read online and came across pcos..tumors in pituitary glands..and a laundry list of other possibilities..I just feel like no one can give me a straight answer...hoping that someone out here can offer some advice?

Have you had any pituitary tests done? Had an MRI? Do you have any milk production? Have you ever had an ultrasound of your pelvis?

Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

milo0 HB User

Hi sjb-thanks for taking the time to read my post & ask questions.
I just had my first round of blood work done on Tuesday & got the results yesterday for the high level of Prolactin..then went today to retest(b/c i didn't fast with the first tests) & will know these results tomorrow morning. As of yet I haven't had any pituitary tests done...no MRI..no milk production..& had a vaginal ultrasound done last year for my very painful periods..they thought maybe I had endometriosis..but that came back fine. I'm noticing today that my lower back hurts 100x more then usual..sitting at my desk today has been torture.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Hi sjb-thanks for taking the time to read my post & ask questions.
I just had my first round of blood work done on Tuesday & got the results yesterday for the high level of Prolactin..then went today to retest(b/c i didn't fast with the first tests) & will know these results tomorrow morning. As of yet I haven't had any pituitary tests done...no MRI..no milk production..& had a vaginal ultrasound done last year for my very painful periods..they thought maybe I had endometriosis..but that came back fine. I'm noticing today that my lower back hurts 100x more then usual..sitting at my desk today has been torture.
How much water do you drink? Did you ever have a past back injury? Do you use straight posture? Does it feel like muscle tension, or as deep as bone?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

milo0 HB User

I usually drink alot of water..my lower back has always been sensitive been never like this. It feels very similar to the pain i get prior to my period but magnified. the pain is very low-it starts right above my butt crack & then then travels to my sides. as far as my psoture goes-i try to keep my posture as straight as i can. Sometimes ill catch myself slouching & quickly adjust myself. I'm not sure how to tell if it feels like muscle or bone pain..if i had to guess i think it feels like a nerve thing..?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I usually drink alot of water..my lower back has always been sensitive been never like this. It feels very similar to the pain i get prior to my period but magnified. the pain is very low-it starts right above my butt crack & then then travels to my sides. as far as my psoture goes-i try to keep my posture as straight as i can. Sometimes ill catch myself slouching & quickly adjust myself. I'm not sure how to tell if it feels like muscle or bone pain..if i had to guess i think it feels like a nerve thing..?
Does your back feel better if you stand up? Do you sit at work all day?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
(female)

milo0 HB User

I have an office job and would say that I probably sit more then I stand but I def. get up and down through out the day multiple times-the pain is there either way...more intense when I sit-feels the best when i'm laying on my back with a heating pad and my legs slightly raised.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I have an office job and would say that I probably sit more then I stand but I def. get up and down through out the day multiple times-the pain is there either way...more intense when I sit-feels the best when i'm laying on my back with a heating pad and my legs slightly raised.
Have you ever had an MRI to find out what problems might be in there?

Last edited by sjb; 10-22-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
(female)

milo0 HB User

I actually got a call from my dr. today saying that my second set of blood tests came back with a higher level of prolactin then the other test did so next week they said i'll be going for an mri =/

The following user gives a hug of support to milo0:
sjb (10-25-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to milo0 For This Useful Post:
sjb (10-25-2010)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
(female)

Cassandra11 HB User

Hi milo,

I am having the same issues and just got tested because I missed a period. I got tested last year for endometriosis as well because my periods started to become unbearable. I didn't have that. The recent blood work says I have high levels of prolactin. I also read about the pituitary tumors and I was wondering how your MRI went.

Cassandra

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi If there is no tumor that needs to be removed I would take measures to lower prolactin. According to some other places it might be possible to lower prolactin levels by eating things like pinto, peanuts, soybeans, carrots, sunflower seeds, chasteberry tea, brown rice, spinach, lentils, wheat germ, tofu and whole grains. Some places suggest cabergoline to lower prolactin, this is an ergot derivative. I would never suggest this to any woman because fungus is not something a woman wants for her reproductive system in my opinion. Of course as usual everyone is supposed to make their own choices because everyone has a body they must live with the rest of their lives. I hope this helps someone have a nice day!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Milo, Cassandra and my friend SJB.

I developed a pituitary tumor after the birth of my second child. Started with the same symptoms you guys have and then I got milk in....real milk...thick and full fat. The endocrinologist delighted in being able to show his residents that you get "real" milk not just a discharge(yes, he had me express some so each resident could feel the consistency....talk about embarrassing).

This was pre MRI days but the CT scan had just been invented. CT showed an enlarged pituitary so they figured I had a prolactinoma. These tumors are so tiny, they can be as small as 10 cells. It makes the body think you are pregnant.

I had the option of being put on meds that would shut down my periods completely so my body would think I had gone into menopause and would signal the pituitary to stop making prolactin. But before the doc could even do that, the symptoms began to recede. The tumor, being so tiny, had gotten a blood clot in it and that killed it. A second CT showed where it had been.

Don't be afraid. If it is a tumor, doesn't mean you need brain surgery. It may just need meds or it may die on it's own. They are a lot more common than anyone realizes. They are treatable and even curable.

Good luck and let us know the results of the MRI...okay?

gentle hugs.........Jenny

Closed Thread