It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

whattodoeh HB User
Pregnant or Period symptoms

Hiya,

I've been on various forms of contraception for the past seven years including the pill and the injection. Due to an administrative error when switching surgeries (theirs and mine) I did not receive the injection before the 12 weeks had run out. (I am currently not on any contraception bar condoms). I have very irregular periods since going on the injection and had one until approx. 1 week ago. I am now having the following symptoms:

- thick white discharge, painless, odourless (lasted a week then stopped a couple of days ago)
- sore, tender nipples
- tender breasts

Today I have noticed an increased frequency in urination.

The last time I had (unknowingly) unprotected sex was approx. 2 weeks ago.

As I have not had a 'natural' period for 7 years I am unfamiliar with the symptoms of naturally starting one; as I have never been pregnant I do not know the symptoms of this either. I do not have any cramps but a week and a half ago had an enormous pain in what felt like an ovary or my womb which caused me to nearly fall down while walking and gasp with shock which lasted only a moment but caused concern. It happened twice within about 20-30 minutes.

So:

Pregnant or Period?

Last edited by whattodoeh; 10-27-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

Altari HB UserAltari HB User
Re: Pregnant or Period symptoms

Quote:
I have very irregular periods since going on the injection and had one until approx. 1 week ago. I am now having the following symptoms:
Do you mean you were bleeding until a week ago? If so, it's highly unlikely (although not at all impossible) that you'd get pregnant from intercourse approx. 14 days ago. Most women ovulate "about" 2 weeks before the first day of their next period, so figuring out when you ovulate can be tricky if you're irregular. Some women ovulate irregularly, though, which can make it even harder to determine.

However, I should ask: was it a period or a "period"? The first symptom of all my [four] pregnancies was implantation bleeding that for all the world resembled a short period. This is not the norm, though.

When was your last injection?

The symptoms you described are common for ovulation as well as pregnancy. Tender breasts/nipples would not come until later [usually]. I'd ballpark it at 4 to 6 gestational weeks, but that's just a estimate. Increased urination is due to the pressure of the fetus on the bladder, so that wouldn't come until much later.

Thick, white discharge can be a symptom of pregnancy, but is almost always a symptom of ovulation.

The pain in your abdomen is worth mentioning to your OBGYN, but is probably unrelated. Pain from implantation is fairly rare from the little I know of it. I get those from time to time, and it's usually just a muscular pain. When you think you may be expecting, every little twinge can turn into a pregnancy symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
(female)

whattodoeh HB User
Re: Pregnant or Period symptoms

It was an unnatural period caused by irregular bleeding from the injection which I last had sometime in July - my previous surgery did NOT make a note of the exact date and nor did I because I foolishly assumed it would be on my medical record. You've been very kind and helped put my mind at rest; if I do not bleed in the next two weeks I will take a pregnancy test but as my periods are normally irregular I won't immediately panic if I'm not bleeding by that point.

It's frustrating because my breasts have grown a little as well but again, that could be anything. I am recovering from a long battle with bulemia and am taking prescription Fortisips to gain weight.

Thanks again, I will wait and see but any further guidance would be appreciated.

Closed Thread