It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Geniecorp HB User
Cauterisation not working for vaginal tears?

Apologies as this is somewhat long and descriptive. =)

Two weeks ago I started bleeding during sex. Flow was quite heavy with large clots [egg sized] and didn't stop for 20 hours, so I went to A&E. Two tears [one about 3mm, another about 1cm] were cauterised [pregnancy test was negative, I donít have any STDs, blood was always bright red and thin, definitely not period blood, plus my period is due around the 24th].

A couple of days later I started bleeding again and passed the occasional clot, I went in again, upon examination they couldn't see any fresh blood, so let me go. About four days ago in the space of 10 minutes I bled so much I collapsed, but didn't faint. Hemoglobin went down to 9.1. One of the tears was cauterised again.

Just today there was more blood and a couple more clots, right after another examination and another cauterisation [of the smaller tear, was told the larger one seems fine], I started bleeding as soon as I stood up. My doctor said that if it had been a fresh bleed, my hemoglobin level would have gone down further, but it didn't, so he assumes it is blood that was 'stored' and when I stand up from lying or sitting down, it is expelled.

Where could it be coming from? I am still bleeding after a third cauterisation. I will generally have two days of just brownish-greyish discharge [from the silver nitrate, I presume], start feeling relieved that it's working, and then start bleeding heavily again. I have no idea what to do, Iím trying to take it easy [no sex at all, no exercise, etc], but Iíve missed too much work and uni already.

One doctor told me the tears are too superficial to need stitches, another said that cauterisation doesn't work well with vaginal tissue, so tears generally need to be stitched.

Anyone else have issues with silver nitrate cauterisation? How can I convince my NHS gyno that I may need to be stitched up?

Any experiences/advice would help. Thank you. =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread