It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

kakkyann HB User
large fibroid/enlarged uterus

In june i had a lap to remove a tennis ball sized cyst along with my left ovary all fine, however, the pain has not gone. When was having original tests it was also found that i had a 6cm sub mucosal fibroid which they would not remove, have been and had another uss and the fibroid is just as large along with an enlarge uterus and smaller fibroids. The choices i have are carry on taking co codamyl (?) then go back and get referred maybe if pain doesnt go away. I am 41 nowhere near (hopefullly) menopause and even if i go into menopause will it shrink something that large?? i have pain in my left side, pain in my legs, hips and back constantly need to pee and sometimes get constipated. I am bloated and unhappy. Any suggestions on a way forward??

Last edited by kakkyann; 12-11-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: forgot to say dont have period problems apart from not really having them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
(female)

Sostaine HB User
Re: large fibroid/enlarged uterus

Actually having a submucosal fibroid is a good thing since they can now be treated fairly easily on an outpatient basis by a procedure called a hysterscopic (via your vagina through the cervix) myomoctomy (removal of the fibroid). and preserve your fertility in most cases. If you look at the research many women are able to get pregnant afterward.. In my case I am past having kids but just like having my uterus but don't like it bleeding all the time.

I just had one removed a week ago Tuesday and other then a bad reaction to the general anesthetic it was a none event. Many doc's still use a wire loop to literally cut them out but my doctor uses a metal tube with a little cutting window (a morcellator) in it to literally munch it out of my Utereus. The procedure for a 3 cm one was only about 20 minutes although the entire procedure was almost an hour (they have to dilate your cervix).

The top left is a picture of the fibroid, the next two in the top right and bottom left are during the procedure so what you are looking at includes a metal tube on the top but it is so shiny that it is reflecting the inside of my utereus.. The dark spot is actually the window that has a little cutting blade inside it. The picture on the bottom right is a close up view after it has been removed and just the base remains.

In order to do the procedure they put fluid into your uterues and this apparently is why ou need a general but I spoke to another doc since then and since women have C sections without a general it would have been possible to have this done this way as well. It was just my surgeons preference.. The hospital charges so far are over $8000 without the doctors bill but my insurance of course knocks it down to about $6000. and will owe about 20% of that. Ouch..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user721873_pic358_1292281579.jpg (22.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 12-13-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

The Following User Says Thank You to Sostaine For This Useful Post:
kakkyann (12-18-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread