It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

Cuddlemama HB User
Freaking out about complex ovarian cysts!

Can anyone suggest how I could go about finding a good, experienced gyn surgeon in the state of Georgia?

I have a small complex ovarian cyst on each ovary. My internist ordered an ultraound due to pelvic pain, & the cysts showed up. She referred me to the gyn. I'll see the gyn in 2 days. I don't know this gyn well & don't know if she'll push to have them surgically removed right away.

Of course, if they are cancerous I know I need to have my ovaries removed. I'm praying that's not the case.

Bottom line: I need to find a really good gyn surgeon who performs many laparoscopies a year & would be likely to be able to remove just the cyst & preserve the ovary.

If you can't recommend a surgeon, does anyone have advice on how I might go about locating a good one, especially one who does a lot of laparoscopies (& even lots of cystectomies).

Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
(female)

Cuddlemama HB User
Re: Freaking out about complex ovarian cysts!

Or even if you don't have advice, any supportive words would help. I'm so freaking out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

Don't freak out until you have gotten to see your gynecologist. If he or she recommends removal through surgery then why not ask how many similiar surgeries this person has performed and if in his or her experience, the surgery is successful.

If there is a risk of ovarian cancer than a gynecological oncologist should be the one to do the surgery and not a regular gynecologist. Usually a CA-125 blood test will give further evidence and if registers high, then a gyne oncologist will be called in. The CA-125 in addition to how the cyst looks on ultrasound are the two things that will determine whether you will have a cystectomy by laparoscopy or a laparotomy.

You should know that ovarian cysts are EXTREMELY common, even complex ones. 90% of complex cysts are benign and the younger you are, the higher the chances of a benign cyst (ovarian cancer is most common in women 60 and over). Even in post menopausal women, this cancer is not a very common one (which does not necessarily mean that it is impossible to have it but let's just say, less likely than other things).

Sorry I could not be of help regarding a good gyne in Georgia. If you have any women friends or even male ones, ask around ... or call your order of gynecologists and see if they can recommend anyone. Otherwise, speak to the gyne you are going to see and ask questions until you are comfortable.

I hope I have been of some help. I know how horrible it is to have an ovarian cyst and sit there waiting for someone to do something or to give you more information. I have had to have an ovary removed due to a cyst and I watched it with regular ultrasounds for a year and a half (it was a simple cyst and not a complex one .. but in the end, it was not a normal follicular cyst .. it was around 9 cms when it was taken out).

Hang in there and try to keep your mind busy while you are waiting for the appointment.

Take care.

Estria

The Following User Says Thank You to estria For This Useful Post:
Cuddlemama (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

Cuddlemama HB User

Thank you so much. I went to the gyn yesterday, & after looking at the ultrasound report she was not concerned abt the cysts. I'm having a follow-up ultrasound in a couple of weeks. You were right when you said in previous posts that gynecologists can get a lot of info from looking at the radiologist's report.

I also contacted the HERS Foundation. They provide info on female reproductive surgery. The woman there was extremely helpful, too.

Of course, I won't be completely worry-free till I get the follow-up u/s results.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

I am glad that your visit went well. Just be sure to do the followups. Yes the ultrasound, although not 100%, can give a lot of information. Radiologists and gynecologists have been doing this for a while now and have very specific parameters for what looks to be dangerous and what does not.

Of course there are exceptions and a perfectly normal looking cyst may turn out to be cancerous. HOWEVER, this is EXTREMELY rare and most of the time, the morphology of the cyst is a good predictor of what it actually is. Of course the other thing that will give you more information is how the cysts behave over time. If they shrink and regress, this would be the ideal situation. If they grow, however, you may be looking at surgery. Take it one step at a time and be sure to keep an eye on those cysts with ultrasounds, particularly because they are complex and not simple fluid filled cysts.

If you feel anxious you may also ask to have the CA-125 test done but just like the men's PSA test (for prostate cancer), this test is notoriously unreliable and has a high rate of false positives (showing high when no cancer is present). This is the case especially if you are premenopausal (postmenopausal women have a much better accuracy rate with this test). Your doctor may still recommend it though, just to have another piece of information.

Short of a biopsy which would involve surgery, the three pieces of info to go with cysts is 1. the morphology or "look" of the cyst 2. the CA-125 test 3. the behaviour (or changes) of the cyst over time ... these three things together can give you an extremely reliable picture of what you are dealing with.

Take good care of yourself and let us know how things are going.

Estria

Closed Thread