It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

starr77 HB User
How many women have gone years without paps and everything was ok?

I havent had a pap in 7 years,i know stupid! ive never had an abnormal one before this,i just turned 33. Long story short got divorced,lost insurance,got a job then got laid off. I developed severe anxiety and im dealthly afraid of docs but im getting re married in july to someone with very good insurance and the first thing im going to do is go to the gyno. Anyways just wondering how many have waited along time but everything turned out ok? All i can find is horror stories on the net...google is evil when you have anxiety every little ache or pain i assume its cancer! Any positive responses would so help ease my crazy mind right now! thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
(female)

starr77 HB User
Re: How many women have gone years without paps and everything was ok?

anybody? freaking out here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Starr,
From what I have read here, I do not think you have anything to worry about. I think this marks the beginning of a new chapter of your life that sounds like it may be easier and better for you.

I encourage you to leave behind any embarrassment or apologies for missing some paps, the important thing is getting you in soon, and getting on with your life.

You mention that you have not had any previous problems, and if you have gone all this time without any symptoms that needed treatment, there is good reason to assume the best.

Not to mention, that in the last 7 years, care has gotten better, techniques have gotten better, and there is a new attitude about womens sexual health that makes everything better for us women.

If there were to be a little something that needed treatment, there have never been better, more effective medications and other treatments available.

Now, when it comes to the actual anxiety over the doctors visit itself, I encourage you to make the nurse or staff of your concerns. Doctors with this information will certainly go out of their way to make the experience as quick and easy as possible.

You could also seek treatment for your anxiety before you schedule your gyno appointment. I developed anxiety when I survived strokes, and only recently began treatment for. It has changed my life, and I encourage you to look into it - if your anxiety is stopping you from doing things in life, or making you miserable while doing them.

My basic advice is to stay positive and get treatment for your anxiety. The rest will follow along smoothly. My best to you!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Relax. Think of how many women go to the doctor year after year and get normal results on their paps. The result wouldn't have been different if they hadn't gone. The horror stories on the 'net are a result of people not typing "I went to the doctor today and had a normal pap". People talk about the bad things that happen in their health because those are the things out of the norm.

I do believe in getting an annual exam- I'm not arguing against it. But it's understandable why you couldn't, and good that you'll be getting one now, I just don't think you should be too worried.

I think things will be okay, but tell the doc it's been a while in case that makes a difference in the level of screening. I know that there is a newer pap smear called "thin prep" which is supposed to be better at picking up cancer cells than the older style, you might ask about what they use.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
(female)

starr77 HB User

thank you guys so much for the replies and yes you are right people on the net and these boards usually only post when something is wrong. I did have hpv warts when i was 18,(now 33)had biopsiy on cervix ect it was fine, never any cervical probs just ugly warts on the outside and aldara cream cleared the warts,had paps every 3 months for 2 years all clear...yearly paps after that all normal and 2 normal births and clean paps after both of them also but had my last pap at age 27 right before my divorce was final and lost insurance. I just feel foolish for going this long with out one,im not really sure how or why my fear of docs started but it did,and now can only think of the worst outcome and how it would be my own fault becasue i have waited so long and how my lil boys would have to grow up with a mommy like i did ect.. (my mom died giving birth to me). I think my mind is in a tail spin right now... Again thanks so much for taking your time to write back..bless you all!....oh and my last exam i had was very extensive becasue i swore i had ovarian cancer so to ease my mind she went above and beyond the standard pap and exam...but still that was 7 years ago!

Last edited by starr77; 12-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

I lost insurance too, planned parenthood would of been an option. But I didnt have a car at one point and no bus system in my city I went without papsmears and hadnt been on BC since i was 18 years old. I finally went in with lower pelvic pain, my hormones were so out of wack I had a cyst on my right ovary, luckily it has ruptured but now i get them every single month and the pain lingers. Good luck!

Last edited by missjade11; 12-23-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
(female)

starr77 HB User

missjade11, how long did you go without paps? also what did they do for your hormones and how did you that they were out of wack? thanks for your response!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr77 View Post
missjade11, how long did you go without paps? also what did they do for your hormones and how did you that they were out of wack? thanks for your response!
There is no telling some years without paps. They gave me birth control for the cyst issue. They took a hormone test because I asked for it its not a normal thing they do during papsmears it's simple as blood work and it can tell how your estrogen etc is doing this is how I knew they were out of wack. I request it every year.

Now lesson learned I tell you, I go in for my yearly papsmear and get the mammograms, and hormone test. I take my birth control and I get a transvaginal every few years that isnt part of a yearly papsmear either. Ive requested a transvaginal be done every few 5 yrs to look for cyst fibroids etc. So I do request a transvaginal.

My suggestions

Family Doctor-
Yearly blood work- insulin, thyroid etc.

Gyno-
Pelvic exam and papsmear (my doc also does a anemia and urine dip test)
hormone and CA125 test
mammograms every year (age 50 usual)
transvaginals (my doc has it for every 5yrs)

Vision-
Yearly eye exam (I had perfect vision and just recent went in for my yearly and needed glasses prob would of never known if it wasn't for this yearly test)

Gastro-
Colonoscopy every few years I think its 5 or 10 years..checks for polyps.

Dental- (Ill just put this down here too since its on my list)
Dental cleaning every 6mths.

This can really help save your life as a woman! It saved my mother in laws life, they found a mass on her ovary and she survived ovarian cancer due to getting transvaginals and the CA125. She is now in good health! A papsmear will not do everything so do more and be careful! I have adopted her really great prevention routine as listed above and it looks costly but I get it at planned parenthood, and a low cost family clinic and dental center with no problem and very low cost.

Last edited by missjade11; 12-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Closed Thread