It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User
High testosterone levels? Can it be treated? What causes it? HELP!

I just found out I have high testosterone levels...I don't know if it's considered really high or just borderline:

Total Testosterone was 52 (normal 2-45)
Testosterone, Free was 7.8 (normal 0.1-6.4)

But I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the cause of this? Do I have PCOS? I just had an ultrasound and it was normal? My periods have been normal since I went off birth control 4 months ago. But my hair has been falling out in clumps, my skin is oily and breaking out horrible, I sweat like a pig. I've also been gaining a lot of weight very quickly even though I follow a strict diet and rarely go above 1300 calories a day and I'm currently 348 pounds. It's extremely frustrating. Doctor says it's simply calories in vs calories out...but I know something has to be wrong. I shouldn't be gaining weight like I am.

I also just found out I have pre-diabetes. Fasting blood sugar was 106 and insulin level was 20. I'm very upset about this.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User
Re: High testosterone levels? Can it be treated? What causes it? HELP!

Your doctor is wrong that "calories in vs. calories out" is going to solve your weight gain, when your hormones are so out of balance. If only it were so simple.
I think it sounds like it could be PCOS, but maybe there are other possible diagnoses. Are you seeing an endocrinologist? If not, that's where I'd go next. Ask them questions like, "What are all of the possible diagnoses?" and "how do we rule each one in or out?"
When you have a diagnosis you agree with and are being treated for, also find out what type of diet you should be following.
I would think you might need to transition into a low-carb diet, but ask your endocrinologist or a certified dietician.
I hope you get an answer soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfe View Post
Your doctor is wrong that "calories in vs. calories out" is going to solve your weight gain, when your hormones are so out of balance. If only it were so simple.
I think it sounds like it could be PCOS, but maybe there are other possible diagnoses. Are you seeing an endocrinologist? If not, that's where I'd go next. Ask them questions like, "What are all of the possible diagnoses?" and "how do we rule each one in or out?"
When you have a diagnosis you agree with and are being treated for, also find out what type of diet you should be following.
I would think you might need to transition into a low-carb diet, but ask your endocrinologist or a certified dietician.
I hope you get an answer soon.
I don't see an endocrinologist...never have...even though I've had hypothyroidism for 7 years...

I see a nutritionist. I eat a high protein diet. I was consuming 1800-2200 calories a day, mostly protein, like she wanted...she said it would make my metabolism happy and stuff. But I gained 60 lbs in 4 months. So I've cut back down. Still doing mostly protein but not getting as much as I was. I don't do low carb...depending on what you consider to be low carb. I don't go low into to go into ketosis. But I try to limit my consumption and when I do eat something carby it's whole grain or fruit usually. I love bran flakes LOL

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

PCOS all the way, I agree! or an endocrine disease.

Last edited by missjade11; 01-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Closed Thread