It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User
Fist sized blood clot during a three week early period.

Title says it all. My girlfriend's periods are normally irregular, but three weeks is abnormal. She is downplaying it and she thinks shes fine, but I'm worried. Emergency Room? Gyno apointment? What should we do?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User
Re: Fist sized blood clot during a three week early period.

Could be fibroid tissue passing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpixies View Post
Could be fibroid tissue passing.
Okay, what does that mean in terms of action? Is a gyno appointment sufficient, or is it more serious?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePhoenix92 View Post
Okay, what does that mean in terms of action? Is a gyno appointment sufficient, or is it more serious?
Has she had it happen before? Is she in a lot of pain? If it's not normal for her, then she really should go to the ER.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpixies View Post
Has she had it happen before? Is she in a lot of pain? If it's not normal for her, then she really should go to the ER.
She's never experienced it before, and she was in a lot of pain, however after she passed the massive blood clot she said she felt alot better and the cramping went way down. Her friend was thinking it might have been a miscarriage or something because she was also bleeding much more than usual, however we have been safe, and she had her last 3 periods normally, so I feel like thats unlikely.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

How old is your girlfriend? Is she taking any NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)? Does she take aspirin? Some medications can cause heavy periods especially those with aspirin in them. Does she do any illicit drugs?

It really wouldn't hurt for her to have a gyn take a look at her to rule out fibroids or other problems before she becomes anemic from bleeding so heavily. Sincerely, searchin

Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

could it have been a misscaridge?

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin View Post
How old is your girlfriend? Is she taking any NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)? Does she take aspirin? Some medications can cause heavy periods especially those with aspirin in them. Does she do any illicit drugs?

It really wouldn't hurt for her to have a gyn take a look at her to rule out fibroids or other problems before she becomes anemic from bleeding so heavily. Sincerely, searchin
She's 18. She does no drugs whatsoever, and is on no medications. She doesn't even like taking Ibuprofin. She is also already partially anemic because she's a vegitarian xD

Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
could it have been a misscaridge?
Unlikely because we have been safe, and her last 3 periods went just fine, so chance of pregnancy is rather slim.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

I still think a visit to the gynecologist would be a good idea, especially if this heavy bleeding and or large clot(s) continues. She would do well to take some calcium with D and a multi-vitamin.

searchin

Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
(male)

MikePhoenix92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin View Post
I still think a visit to the gynecologist would be a good idea, especially if this heavy bleeding and or large clot(s) continues. She would do well to take some calcium with D and a multi-vitamin.

searchin
Thank you =)

I'll tell ya, I don't understand how she was so calm about it. If a fist sized chunk of blood exitted my body anywhere, I would probably 1. vomit, 2. panick, 3. drive to the hospital asap. xD

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, She must have been in some awful pain for awhile. I have had some of the problems she has had and I tried to ignore it at first and then I ended up going to the doctor. I was diagnosed with fibroids but I am going through menopause and that often happens around this time.

I sincerely hope the best for your gf. Tell her to get checked now before she finds out something is wrong later and can not get pregnant or something...searchin

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sometimes we don't pass all the blood each month. It can build up and then all be expelled at one time. This may be what happened to her. I wouldn't get overly worried about it at her age but it is something she could take up with her gyno....

Closed Thread