It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

blueyes118 HB User
brown dry discharge 10 days before period?

I'm freaking out here. I read some other posts that it's normal to have some spotting 10 days before your period or brown discharge but for some reason it hasnt reassured me so I describe my situation for others responses:

I have been getting this brown discharge in my panties. It started on Friday which is 12 days before my next period and it was actually a bit wet, like brown dried blood. I freaked a bit but hoped it would go away the next day. It was enough that I could've used a pantyliner but I'm hoping laundry will clean it off too.

Well the next day and today, it has changed to looking like a dry brown discharge. Then today, I wiped down there and got this brown stretch material. I am freaking out because I never got brown discharge before or saw light brown blood. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is the brown stretchy material just ovulation material? It looked like it and I'm pretty sure it is but was brown so I'm scared. Am I ok? Will the discharge stop? Help!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: brown dry discharge 10 days before period?

"Brown and stretchy" sounds like ovulation bleeding.
Some women bleed just a tiny bit at ovulation. The blood is usually mixed in with stretchy, fertile-type cervical mucus, what they call "egg-white CM" because it has the texture of egg white.
It is normal to ovulate anywhere from ten to fourteen days before your next period is due.
As for the "dry" discharge... I haven't a clue.

You should probably see a doctor if you're concerned, but spotting between periods is usually caused by some less-than-life-threatening issue like polyps, cysts, or a fibroid... or else it's caused by a hormonal imbalance, which might correct itself in your next cycle.

If I were you, I'd wait one more cycle and see what happens.
If you get the brown discharge again next cycle, then see your gyno.
I'm a good example of what happens when you jump the gun, assume the worst, and run to the doctor: I did that back in December when I had some spotting, and ended up having surgery (a D&C) which showed that absolutely nothing was wrong.

This cycle, I'm having no abnormal bleeding issues at all, and I'm beginning to suspect that it was simply a wonky period, which would've corrected itself if I'd done nothing. Instead, I missed a lot of work, endured a lot of discomfort, spent a thousand dollars and terrified myself half to death thinking I had cancer or something.

I think it's always safe to wait one cycle and see if the problem persists.
Gynecological cancers are slow-growing; one month won't make much difference.
And the more I read and research, the more convinced I become that occasional problems with our female organs are common, and often self-correcting, especially if they're hormonal. Stress can make you skip ovulation one month, and then your cycle will be all crazy the next month.
But the body self-regulates, and often gets back on track eventually, even without medical intervention.

So that's my advice.
Keep an eye on it, get a calendar and note the dates and amounts of bleeding/spotting, and if it happens again next month, then see a doctor.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
(female)

tmorgan813 HB User

I've had this happen for two reasons, the first was being pregnant and miscarrying. The second was due to a polyp. However, my Gyno did say it can happen with out the miscarrying. If it continues, and you don't get your period, i would take a test and make an apt with your doctor. If you get your period and it does it again next month, I would go see your doctor at that point. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
(female)

halfpint830 HB User

sounds like the same thing i have been going threw for the past 7 years..i had my tubes tied after i had my baby and it seems ever since then i have been dealing with this..i have had 2 d&c's and was put on prednisone for a few months and now it seems worse than ever...i am at the last resort so my gyno is going to remove my uterus because she says thats all thats left to do..i am curious to see if u have had your tubes tied or if u get any answers to the problem. please keep us posted...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Brown blood is normally old blood which wasn't expelled in previous periods. Sometimes it can be almost gel like in texture. It is perfectly normal. It happened to me quite often when I was having periods because I was on bcp. It seems to happen more with women who are on bcp because it's an artificial period. I wouldn't worry about it but you could certainly mention it at your next yearly exam.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint830 View Post
sounds like the same thing i have been going threw for the past 7 years..i had my tubes tied after i had my baby and it seems ever since then i have been dealing with this..i have had 2 d&c's and was put on prednisone for a few months and now it seems worse than ever...i am at the last resort so my gyno is going to remove my uterus because she says thats all thats left to do..i am curious to see if u have had your tubes tied or if u get any answers to the problem. please keep us posted...
I hear your frustration and I hope you don't think me presumptuous, but if I may offer a suggestion:

Please reconsider having your reproductive organs removed for a reason that is not life- or health-threatening.
I believe far too many hysterectomies are done in the US, and that doctors are too quick to offer them.
If chronic bleeding is the only concern, and dangerous causes like cancer have been ruled out, why not consider endometrial ablation instead? It will stop all bleeding permanently, while allowing you to keep the organs you were born with. It's also a far less painful and risky procedure than hysterectomy, and recovery time is only a day or two.

One major problem with hysterectomy is that without your uterus there, other organs can become displaced, and your bladder or intestines could eventually prolapse.
Unless my uterus were dangerously diseased, I'd never consider removing it, whether or not I retained my fertility (you can't carry a pregnancy after an endometrial ablation, for instance; not a concern for you, since your tubes are already tied).

I hope you'll discuss ablation and other options with your doctor before consenting to hysterectomy.
Good luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 01-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
(female)

halfpint830 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
I hear your frustration and I hope you don't think me presumptuous, but if I may offer a suggestion:

Please reconsider having your reproductive organs removed for a reason that is not life- or health-threatening.
I believe far too many hysterectomies are done in the US, and that doctors are too quick to offer them.
If chronic bleeding is the only concern, and dangerous causes like cancer have been ruled out, why not consider endometrial ablation instead? It will stop all bleeding permanently, while allowing you to keep the organs you were born with. It's also a far less painful and risky procedure than hysterectomy, and recovery time is only a day or two.

One major problem with hysterectomy is that without your uterus there, other organs can become displaced, and your bladder or intestines could eventually prolapse.
Unless my uterus were dangerously diseased, I'd never consider removing it, whether or not I retained my fertility (you can't carry a pregnancy after an endometrial ablation, for instance; not a concern for you, since your tubes are already tied).

I hope you'll discuss ablation and other options with your doctor before consenting to hysterectomy.
Good luck.

my gyno tried too but there no way because it was to short in side for the tool so she said it couldn't be done and did another d&c instead inwhich did not help my problem and it is now worse i have bled for the whole month of jan. so far.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
(female)

blueyes118 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Brown blood is normally old blood which wasn't expelled in previous periods. Sometimes it can be almost gel like in texture. It is perfectly normal. It happened to me quite often when I was having periods because I was on bcp. It seems to happen more with women who are on bcp because it's an artificial period. I wouldn't worry about it but you could certainly mention it at your next yearly exam.
Your reply makes a lot of sense to me. I am on bcp also. I'm not pregnant or anything in that realm, just on it for hormonal reasons as prescribed by my doc. However, I've never had the brown discharge before that lasted for a few days.

Now it's been a week since my post. I haven't had the brown discharge again. It stopped about a day or two after I posted. I DID discharge some egg-white material about 3 days ago which is more typical for me, so that didn't scare me. I may sound crazy, not sure, but I feel it is something that I ate that my body has reacted, especially my reproductive organs. I have been eating spicy food lately, like green and red chili filled foods. I suspect my reproductive organs feel the 'heat' from the spices and reacted from it. In fact, I ate a dish filled with spicy green chilis and marsala spices the day before the brown discharge happened, so I am feeling my uterine lining or uterus itself wasn't too happy with all this spicy food. I felt no problems gastro-wise. But I do feel my reproductive organs did not like what I had eaten and I feel they reacted to it. I haven't eaten chilis since last week, and my body looks like it recovered itself. I remember this happened to me once before also, but not to the level it did this time, where I ate a burrito filled with chilis and salsa. I was fine that day, then the next day I got brown blood spotting. Now I feel I know what is going on. I think my reproductive system, instead of my gastro system, is becoming aggravated with the spicy food..why I don't know & I can only guess it's my uterine lining or tissue.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor but I feel to raise this point with my doc next time about the spices. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to know since I am just speculating on what the cause could be.

I will keep everyone updated on how my period goes this month (it's due next week). I think my body has recovered itself, but I can only wait and see. I am making sure to watch what I eat now.

Closed Thread