It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

purity dee HB Userpurity dee HB User
Adnexal cyst (right ovary)

Is a right adnexal cyst the same as an ovarian cyst? Anyhow my doctor found a 3.7cm fluid filled cyst on my right side, ita been there since October, at least this is when it was detected and I know it is still there, I get a weird a pressure sensation in this area and off and on a pinching feeling. I get nauseated throughout the month, mostly a week or so before my period and I sometimews get mild cramping, I am on birth control pills so my Ob/gyn said it was weird I developed a cyst. During a transvaginal ultrasound in Novemeber she observed the cyst and said it was nothing to worry about , functional fluid filled, also during the ultrasound she could see my right ovary but ould not see my left ovary! ***? I am still worried and going back to see her later this week, despite what ihave read here and online about these so called common cysts I can not help to WORRY myself silly. I guess its because I feel exhausted at times and funky, nauseated and achy in my right lower abdomen area. I am 34 and have two kids already, been on birth control for almost 4 years now, was on Yaz and switched to Gianvi the generic version of Yaz.....I would appreciate feedback and advice ladies. Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to purity dee For This Useful Post:
sobinvarghese (06-26-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

mamaskoby HB User
Re: Adnexal cyst (right ovary)

Was reading your post and wondered if you went back yet?? What did theDr. say>??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

soundwaverider HB User

more than likely the adnexal cyst is an ovarian cyst. There's really nothing else in the adnexa that would have a cyst. Don't worry about the ultrasound tech not being able to locate the other ovary. That is not uncommon, as our ovaries hang out on ligaments and get kind of tricky to find in some people especially if bowel gas is in the way. Perhaps your Dr will change the dosage of your BCP to help disolve that cyst. Some cysts do need to be surgically removed. Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to soundwaverider For This Useful Post:
sobinvarghese (06-26-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

It is a simple ovarian cyst, wnet to have an ultrasound yesterday and the cyst is now 4.9 cm and I have a 2.3 cm complex cyst on my left ovary, I am so terribly worried now, especially about that complex cyst, can anyone tell me their experince with a complex cyst and if and when/how it was resolved....PLEASE, I am soo scared right now........

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

mamaskoby HB User

Just saw this post and was wondering what your dr said? First its small, so thats good. Second there is no free fluid in the abdomen, also good. When do you see your Dr? Most cysts are benign (as LAGIRLSCARED said)
Keep us posted!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

mamaskoby HB User

BTW, I also got cysts on the pill.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
(female)

I am seeing my OB in about an hour....hope that turns out well

Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
(female)

saw my Ob Thursday June 30th, follow up to the Pelvic Ultrasound, he did a transvaginal in his office and said the left ovarian complex cyst was gone, it had measure 2.3cm on Tuesday 6/28, the right cyst has grown from 3.9cm in October and January of 2011 to 4.88cm currently, it is fluid filled and I get occassional discomfort mild mild pain and cramping....I have had sore breast and nausea for a week, it has now sunsiuded and I was also feeling fatigued, I thoguht I was pregnant as I had all the symptoms. I am NOT. So he asked me to see him in July after my period because he believed it was getting ready to collapse....then Today he calls me and tells me he wants to order a CT because the radiologist made a note of that on the report....I panicked and asked why he changed his mind from last Thursday to today, he said he feels is is best to go ahead with the CT beacuse it has grown about 1 cm in the last few months, if indeed it is the same cyst or maybe its a new cyst, they dont know which is why they want the CT??? I am so confused and honestly I dont believe him!!! I am so scared now!!!!

I know I wont get a diagnosis here but any input from all you ladies that have gone throguht this and any similar events and the outcome may help, please respond...please.....

Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
(female)

mamaskoby HB User

Ok, let me ask you this, between Jan and now did you have any other US? Why did they wait so long in between I wonder?
Also, seems like you are "cyst friendly" since you had one on your other ovary that disappeared. I wouldn't worry at all since it is "fluid filled" thats the good kind!!! Also what did you dr say about removing it? If you are very nervous just tell him you cannot live with it and you want it gone!! And I bet that is what he is going to recommend anyway since its been awhile and its hasn't gone away and its just grown. From what I have read some just want to keep growing without going away on their own, so that is why "ovarian cysts are the bread and butter of the GYN Drs." They are so common and just keep paying the bills with all the removals of them. I myself have been operated on 3 times for cysts, one dermoid, twisted and turned the ovary, very painful and 2 laporacotomys to remove other cysts. Its common, so don't freak out. Plus if you need anti anxiety meds ask you GYN he will understand. Esp. now that he freaked you out. Looks like he didn't think it was necessary to do the CAT scan but the radiologist wanted to cover their butt and recommended it....so your Dr is doing it..... I had the CAT Scan with contrast done to for my Hemmorrgahic(bleeding cyst).
Hope this helps a bit, ,I know its scary and easy to freak out. Email anytime!!! And keep us posted of course!
I too am going to ask my Dr in August to take mine out since its been since January and it just isn't going anywhere...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaskoby View Post
Ok, let me ask you this, between Jan and now did you have any other US? Why did they wait so long in between I wonder?
Also, seems like you are "cyst friendly" since you had one on your other ovary that disappeared. I wouldn't worry at all since it is "fluid filled" thats the good kind!!! Also what did you dr say about removing it? If you are very nervous just tell him you cannot live with it and you want it gone!! And I bet that is what he is going to recommend anyway since its been awhile and its hasn't gone away and its just grown. From what I have read some just want to keep growing without going away on their own, so that is why "ovarian cysts are the bread and butter of the GYN Drs." They are so common and just keep paying the bills with all the removals of them. I myself have been operated on 3 times for cysts, one dermoid, twisted and turned the ovary, very painful and 2 laporacotomys to remove other cysts. Its common, so don't freak out. Plus if you need anti anxiety meds ask you GYN he will understand. Esp. now that he freaked you out. Looks like he didn't think it was necessary to do the CAT scan but the radiologist wanted to cover their butt and recommended it....so your Dr is doing it..... I had the CAT Scan with contrast done to for my Hemmorrgahic(bleeding cyst).
Hope this helps a bit, ,I know its scary and easy to freak out. Email anytime!!! And keep us posted of course!
I too am going to ask my Dr in August to take mine out since its been since January and it just isn't going anywhere...

Thank you for your response!!!
Well, I am worried about loosing my ovary(ies) when you had your cysts removed, I can assume they left your ovaries alone, meaning they did not need to remove them along with the cyst? I am worried on all levels, the cysts, my ovaries and the potential for me to conceive in the future if I decide I want another child, I dont want to lose that choice
The OB I was seeing last year is a different one from the one I am seeing now, the one last year said it was fluid filled and it would resolve on its own in a few cycles....I did not go back from January of this year until recently because I had right and left cramping, since she was not available to see me, they offered me an appointment with another OB in that practice, he ordered the Pelvis US and now the Ct at the radiologist recommendations on the report.
The report read something like:Right adnexal cyst, an ovarian neoplasm can have this appearance, althought a BENIGN neoplasm is favored a malignancy can not be excluded!

YIKES!!!!WHAT????OMG!!!

I just want to be ok, and not loose my ovaries or my life......maybe I am overthinking this and freaking out when I should relax but it is so hard.

How have you been doing? How long have you been suffering from cysts?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
(female)

mamaskoby HB User

Ok, don't freak out, I bet they are just covering their butts. No one can say 100 percent of the time with certainty that its not something without biopsing something. But a Cat scan can give them more certainty. Maybe this radiologist just includes this as "his wording on all cysts" the chances that its bad is very rare, you have heard of that saying "if it sounds like horses, look for horses before you look for zebras?" keep thinking that!!!

I was really nervouse when I saw my DR about my US report and she got me in for a CAT SCAN that same week........otherwise I would have had to wait weeks for an appt. Tell them you cannot wait and you need it know, for peace of mind.....they totally get that.

Actually when I had my 1st son, my hospital roommate had only one ovary because 15 years prior they removed her one ovary for cancer....and there she was having a new baby!!! We got to talking because she heard the Dr say that most of my ovary that had been removed due to the cyst had grown back to normal over the years (regenerate) so she asked me why they had removed most of my ovary.

I started getting cysts about age 20/////why stop now , right? ha ha. Its only been 24 years!!!
My cyst is bigger than yours its 6.5 by 4.5. I go back for another us in AUgust but I am asking them to take it out now, obviously its not going away, I can feel it pinching my left side when I sit a certain way and lean forward.
Usually surgeons can save some of your ovary so don't freak out yet.......don't you have your other ovary??

The following user gives a hug of support to mamaskoby:
purity dee (07-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaskoby For This Useful Post:
purity dee (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
(female)

I do have two ovaries I hope to keep it that way.

I have read that MOST cysts are benign, including complex cysts. I guess I have to wait and see what happens. It helps to hear other womens stories and experinces about this unneccessary ordeal! Just one of the many joys that comes with being a woman!!!
That is fantastic, about your hospital roommate, what a beautfiul story of hope Good for her!!!
I will keep you posted in days and weeks to come, I hope I can say the same as you, it was nothing to worry about!

Why are you waiting until August for your cysts? How many in total have you had?

I was diagnosed with my first cyst (that I know of) last year at age 35, prior to that I never had US to see if I had any. My periods before I had kids were heavy and I would get horrible cramps the day of, the kind that paralyze you for hours!!!! This right cysts that they found was when I had a abdominal and pelvice CT scan with Contrast for gastric issues, that is where it showed up, had i not had that CT done in October 2010, I may still not know I have it!!
Like, they say, things happen for a reason. I must say, I would get pinching pains and cramping months before the CT, so who knows how many cysts I have had in the past and how long this one has been around???

As for this saying: "if it sounds like horses, look for horses before you look for zebras?" I have never heard of that one before

Last edited by moderator2; 07-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Closed Thread