It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

mcapja HB User
SCARED ... bleeding, no insurance

Will try to keep this brief but it is long.

I am an uncontrolled diabetic, post-menopausal by about 15 years appx., had one ovary removed in 1964 and have numerous conditions including heart problems and am 64 years old, 65 in May.

Took a course of penicillin in late Aug. 2010 for dental work ... got bladder infection. Ignored it. Came and went, never was bad. About 10th of Dec. 2010 I got a very bad case of the stomach flu (still had bladder infection). Somewhere around this time I had very light spotting and attributed it to the bladder infection. Tried to see my dr but he was out for entire month of Dec. At end of Dec. I had an episode of bleeding more like a light menstrual period but without the 'smell' and slight cramping for a few days. ... Finally saw the doctor Jan. 5, 1011. At that time I still had the bladder infection and cellulitis in my leg.

Started Levaquin for leg and bladder infection. Stopped and started bleeding several times ... cellulitis came back and bladder infection still seems to be there. Now I'm bleeding again ... not when I pee but usually while I'm sitting down at the computer. Sometimes there IS some discharge when I do pee when I wipe. Not much usually. When I bleed I need to wear a light pad.

I am SCARED TO DEATH! My problem would be simple if I could go to the doctor. I no longer have insurance however. The Levaquin has cost me $440 since the first round ... a doctor bill of $445 for tests this month. We do not qualify for aid of any kind.

I KNOW I need to see the doctor and be examined and tested ... but I don't have the money. I will be making an appointment to apply for Medicare in a couple of weeks but it won't kick in until May. I will need Part D (for medication) but am scared that no insurance company will accept me because of my medical history and ESPECIALLY if I would be diagnosed with cancer before getting it.

Like I said I am SCARED SILLY! I have no idea what to do. I can get more antibiotics, assuming they are generic and not expensive as I have to pay for them myself ... but I can't do the Levaquin again. It makes me sick and I have to take anti-nausea medication the doctor prescribed along with them.

Can ANYONE give me any wise words or practical help or help my fears? I cry much of the time and feel like I will die before May gets here. I'm not bleeding heavily and I suppose I would go to the ER if I were ... but I don't have the money.

Last edited by mcapja; 01-25-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: to add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: SCARED ... bleeding, no insurance

If you are old enough to qualify for Medicare, you cannot be turned down for coverage of any kind. So don't worry about that. You are guaranteed insurance.

But you do need to go to the doctor. Just be honest about your situation financially and I am sure they will work with you on a payment plan. Best wishes!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

melindar930 HB Usermelindar930 HB User
Re: SCARED ... bleeding, no insurance

1. Have you checked to see if you health center offers any kind of sliding scale fee? Or charity care, where they look at your income vs. outgoing and determine if you can get a 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% discount on services.

2. Have you had a hysterectomy?

3. Can you go down sooner and apply for Medicare?

4. Go to a county hospital that is required to see you even if you have no way to pay, tell them straight up that you have no way to pay, of course you'll have to show proof. But many of them are willing to take small payments every month (I pay $20/month for over $3k). They won't turn you away.

Get the help you need, your health is more important than money.

Closed Thread