It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

CystIssues HB User
Time for bloating following ruptured ovarian cyst?

From what I've read on here so far my 16 YO daughter had a very typical cyst rupture experience. Seen in ER a week and a half ago for abdominal pain, CTs ruled out appendix but showed cyst on ovary. A sonogram 4 days later showed fluid in abdomen but no cyst ("regular" fluid, not blood).

So she is most likely 7 days from rupture. At this point her pain is fairly minimal, no fever, eating ok and bowel/kidney function seems normal. Advil twice a day seems to keep her functioning.

My concern is that her stomach is still very bloated and she still has some pain with bowel movements (in her stomach, not rectum). Is this normal?

How long does it take for your body to reabsorb fluids? The gyno said no follow up necessary unless we have further problems.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
(female)

melindar930 HB Usermelindar930 HB User
Re: Time for bloating following ruptured ovarian cyst?

I would just make a call to the Gyn nurse tomorrow and ask. Better to be safe than sorry. I know that sometimes fluid in the abdomen from a ruptured cyst can cause infection. She doesn't have the symptoms of infection (fever, lethargy) but it never hurts to ask. That's what they're there for.

The Following User Says Thank You to melindar930 For This Useful Post:
CystIssues (01-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

CystIssues HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I actually called the gyno nurse yesterday and they asked to see her again. What a joke. The doctor didn't look at her tummy, re-do ultrasound, nothing! He went on a rant about how too many docs do unecessary surgeries for women and sent us home.

I said, "Is this a normal recovery for a ruptured ovarian cyst?" He said, "Yes, absolutely, or she's having ovulation pain." She started her period the day before that so I don't think it's ovulation pain. The studies clearly showed fluid in abdomen. I'm so frustrated.

If she isn't near 100% by Monday (which will be 2 weeks from full rupture) I'm going to start screaming for answers. She is still very bloated. No fever or I would be worried about infection. I'm just hoping it isn't re-filling or forming a new cyst or something.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

melindar930 HB Usermelindar930 HB User

I would do the same, and if you aren't satisfied on Monday with their answer, seek a second opinion. This is your child and I know how difficult this is on you. Also I know how hard it is to get answers from doctors.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
(female)

Cathryn17 HB User

I just had an ovarian cyst rupture on July 17. I had TERRIBLE lower abdominal pain.... many hours later in the ER, an ultrasound revealed a cyst that ruptured. The docs didn't seem too concerned about it- my bloodwork, urinalysis and pelvic exam came back normal. They said they only saw the one (this was my first ever cyst that I'm aware of) and sent me home with some pain killers. They acted like it was no big deal! To be honest, it scared the heck out of me, but I guess it could be worse. I was out of commission for a few days- mostly because I was sleeping from the drugs. pain meds blocked my digestion up for a bit- made things difficult especially because I already had so much abdominal pain. It took about a week of a liquid based diet to get me "back to normal." My pain has essentially gone away but I have been feeling random pangs of shooting pain the last two days in the same place where the pain originated. I'm wondering if this time frame is normal. I'm scheduled for another ultrasound in a few weeks. I'm also trying to get into my gym but haven't been able to get an appt soon. Should I worry? I know this is a pretty common occurrence, but this is my first cyst and I'm not sure how to handle it....Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

Unhappy mamma HB User

Cathryn17, I also had an ovarian cyst rupture last month. Mine took place on July 6th to be exact. I was at the gym pulling very light weight on an ab machine when I heard and felt a POP right where my uterus is. I was ok that night but the next day I had to make a same day appt to see my dr because I was having abdominal/back pain and sharp pains. Initially the dr thought that it was a torn muscle/tendon, she told me to take some over the counter meds and said that I would get better in a week or so. That weekend my abdomen was so extended, I looked to be about 5 mos pregnant. I weighed myself and was actually almost 7 lbs heavier! The following Monday I returned to the dr. after being in severe (labor-like) pain all weekend. A CATSCAN determined that I had a cyst rupture on my left side. I am still having difficulty walking, still having constant abdominal/back and sharp pains and now I am feeling shooting sensation going down the back of my legs & down to my knees and calves. I am scheduled have another sonogram next week. Depending on the findings I may need to have a laparscopic outpatient surgery. According to the dr. that requires another 2-3 wk recovery on top of the month that I have already taken off of work! Does anyone have any input as to how to best approach my situation in finding out what's happening with me? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

lisafrootee HB User

I have just suffered a ruptured ovarian cyst, and it was very weird! i had been feeling very bloated, so i went to the gym and had just started working out when i felt a cold sort of feeling on my abdomen. I quickly went home, then later that day, basically lost my mind! for about two days i felt so bloated and it really hurt when i tried to eat anything. The craziness went after two days,(which i figured was probably some kind of shock?) but i continued to feel very poorly and had pains evey time i tried to eat and felt sick, i had tender boobs, blood when i wiped myself after i pee'd and just didn't feel right at all. on sunday eve the pains became too much to bare, so went into the nhs drop in clinic and they thought i had an appendicitis!
I was referred to the hosp and they diagnosed a ruptured ovarian cyst and was kept in for two days whilst waiting for a scan. I still haven't had one and the waiting time is two weeks and thats as a high priority out patient.

I have been worried and very bloated and i have lost half a stone in the last seven days. I went to another hospital a&e to see if i could get a scan and the doctor told me my results came back normal (even though i did have a urinary infection and still some blood in my pee) and that i was probably.....wait for it....CONSTIPATED! he says i haven't got a cyst and basically said all the symptoms i told him showed nothing to indicate i had one. this one guy said the three doctors i had spoken to ( lets face it at a more reputable hospital) had made an incorrect diagnosis. my symptoms were text book, and made me realise thats whats been going on for the last two months as i kept bloating out, i could hardly eat anything without feeling sick, etc etc i even have an under active thyroid which is also quite typical apparently.

so, day 8 from rupture, still bloated, still waiting for a scan and still feeling pretty pants! but i feel better knowing this sounds pretty normal.

can anyone tell me what the recovery time is like and what to expect? from the lovely country side of the uk (on a map of the uk...the big round bit on the right at the bottom) lisa x p.s. i hope you are all well now x

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
(female)

Rosiejo HB User

Hey lisafrootee, I hope this finds you way on the road to recovery as it's now a month since your cyst rupture?
I never join forums but yr story sounds so similar to mine that I just couldn't resist.
I just wanted to find out how you got on with nhs? I'm from a pretty rural part of uk too I suffered similar problem whilst in hospital for iv anti biotics for kidney infection, they thought I had appendicitis or pain may be caused by my uti infection but as u know this rupture pain is like no other. I had a ct scan few days after my rupture and they found a cyst 2cm so not sure what size it was like pre rupture but I'd been having odd abdominal pains for weeks which doc said was uti! Ive not been officially diagnosed am waiting (in bed at home) for appointment with gyny.
Main question I have for you is how long did it take you to get back on yr feet cos people talk of being back at work but I can't walk more than a few feet without being in great pain. Only thing that eases it is lying on side of cyst pain.
I'd really appreciate it if you could find time to answer my post. Thanks Hun and I really do hope this finds u well on the road to recovery. Jo x

Closed Thread