It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

milkunit HB User
Eating habits and menstruation - please help!

I feel extremely full, fatigued, and miserable after eating only small amounts of food. I typically don't have stomach pains or any irregular bowel movements (they're actually pretty healthy). I'll occasionally get mild nausea, but I believe that's caused by the idea of feeling so full.

This happens once a month for about a week, and it's ALWAYS right when my menstrual cycle is ending. My eating habits change significantly with my cycle quite a bit. It goes like this:

-After my period ends I can hardly eat a thing without feeling like my stomach is going to explode. I still have somewhat of a normal appetite so I really WANT to eat, but can't! This causes frustration since I can't satisfy any food desires.
-A week or a little more after menstruation I feel I can eat normally. I have a healthy appetite and can eat without feeling so uncomfortable.
-About two weeks after menstruation my appetite decreases slightly. This happens right around ovulation, which I don't understand. I don't get as bloated as mentioned before, but I have to force myself to eat sometimes.
-Right before my next period, about a week before, my appetite increases and feel it takes a lot to get full. I guess this would be associated with PMS, for I get many other symptoms that go along with that. This continues into the beginning of my period, until the end where the bloating starts taking over.

The cycle repeats over and over again. Is this normal? If so, how the hell do women deal with this!? If it's not normal, what could be causing it and how can I fix it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
(female)

snowangel81 HB User
Re: Eating habits and menstruation - please help!

This often happens to me and many of my friends. Often you get hungrier and need more food before your period, and then after you lose most of your appetite. I'd definitely recommend a multivitamin for during your period and until your appetite returns to normal. The loss of blood can drain nutrients, and while your appetite is low you want to be sure you are getting enough nutrients. Is there any certain foods that make you feel worse? You can also try eating several very small meals so you don't fill your stomach too much at once.

Closed Thread