It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
(female)

Jenna1104 HB User
Uterine polyp, ovarian cyst, and stomach pains. I'm afraid.

Hello, I am 29, not sexually active and have no children. About 2 weeks ago I had irregular bleeding that was the same kind of flow as with my period. It only lasted 2 days. I felt some pain but not like cramping. I was still worried. Long story made short, I went to my doctor and blood was found in my urine. My dr just looked inside to see if it was coming from my vagina. It wasn't. Well the day after that I started having worse cramps in my belly, pelvis and on my right side near my kidney. The same pains I was having prior to seeing my doctor, they were just more intense. So I went to the ER. The doctor there did blood work and another urine test. My blood work was perfectly fine. And my urine still showed a small amount of blood. He ordered an Ultrasound for me. I know this sounds uneducated but I had the one that slides over your pelvis and also the wandlike device that goes inside. The doctor at the test told me that I have a cyst on my right ovary and a polyp on my uterus. I have a history of cysts, and they are always on the same ovary. They recommended a gynechologist and I went the other day. I am supposed to speak to a surgeon on April 12th about having a D&C done, which I am terrified of having because I'm scared to be put under anesthesia. I know I need it to reove the polyp and I will get it done, but I'm scared to go under. Can anyone who has had a D&C tell me your experience through it all? What was the procedure like? What do they do they do to prep you besides dialate your cervix? What was the anesthesia like and was it hard coming out of a deep sleep? What was it like after the procedure? Were you in lots of pain?
The gyno I saw today also said that I should have a colonoscopy because I have been having, at times, terrible stomach pain, diharrhea, nausea. It is also hard for me to eat. I just feel sick to my tummy most of the time. I eat when I can, usually once a day and then I have a snack. The gyno thinks I should have one because of the issues I'm having with my stomach and the fact that all my siblings have had polyps on their colons. My mother also died in June of colon cancer.
I am petrified of all of this. Lots of my family members have died of cancer. My father of lung, my uncle of prostate, my grandmother of ovarian, and my mother of colon cancer. I'm not saying I totally believe I have cancer, but I don't walk around thinking it could never happen to me either. And considering my family history there are times when I do get terrified. I stil go on and calm myself down (the physical pain is all still there even when I'm calm) I feel so alone a lot of the time.
Please, I am so scared that something might be terribly wrong. I will go through with any procedure I need but they scare me. I've never been through anything like this. The pain is sometimes mentally hard to deal with (pain behind my belly button, near kidneys and through my pelvis) Could my cyst and polyp be causing this? I also have acid reflux disease but I have never had issues like this from it before. But could the cyst be making my acid act up in a way that is very painful?
I am also going to see my regular doctor on Monday for a follow up visit and to schedule a colonoscopy.
I hope I have explained everything I'm going through well enough. I feel alone and scared sometimes. All of this is difficult emotionally and physically.
Thank you to anyone who answers my posts.

Last edited by Jenna1104; 04-02-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
(female)

Jules 59 HB User
Re: Uterine polyp, ovarian cyst, and stomach pains. I'm afraid.

My first bit of advice is slow your breathing down when you are that anxious its impossible to see the wood from the trees. I tried meditation cds you can ********
them or look up on u tube Jon Kabatt Zinn i think you will find it helps right now. I really understand your fear like you i have all sorts of pelvic problems and pain and have just had ct scan they would not keen to do colonscopy as it would be painful as I have severe adhesions and endo and a cyst and IBS. I have had a D & C in the past and
honestly is basically just a spring clean of your womb and gives them the chance to check things out, you get a bit of a menstrual type cramp after which can be
helped with pain relief. Ive had so many ops I almost take them in my stride now, may sound wierd but I find being anesthatised just like taking a sleeping pill and drifting off its so quick you barely have time to finish your name and address before you drift off
then you wake up and dont remember a thing its really not that bad. I will admit ive heard colonscopies can be painful especially when you have organs tethered together with stringy scar tissue (adhesions). I am wondering from what you said if you may possibly also have adhesions/cyst/s as it is pretty common to have pain from scar tissue as well as cysts or endo etc. I get pain around my belly button worse in the morning when i wake (think its because bowel and Bladder full pulling on adhesions plus maybe a cyst, awaiting ct scan results, may still have hysterectomy if all else fails.
Anyway I guess your history and family history is fuelling your belief its got to be something bad but it would be helpful for you to consider it may be something
sortable and smaller. Once again I really think you have nothing to lose to check out Mindfulness Meditation online, cds etc it helps me deal with it and even helps you
to a degree reduce the pain even if it is ongoing. All the best

The Following User Says Thank You to Jules 59 For This Useful Post:
Jenna1104 (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
(female)

Jenna1104 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules 59 View Post
My first bit of advice is slow your breathing down when you are that anxious its impossible to see the wood from the trees. I tried meditation cds you can ********
them or look up on u tube Jon Kabatt Zinn i think you will find it helps right now. I really understand your fear like you i have all sorts of pelvic problems and pain and have just had ct scan they would not keen to do colonscopy as it would be painful as I have severe adhesions and endo and a cyst and IBS. I have had a D & C in the past and
honestly is basically just a spring clean of your womb and gives them the chance to check things out, you get a bit of a menstrual type cramp after which can be
helped with pain relief. Ive had so many ops I almost take them in my stride now, may sound wierd but I find being anesthatised just like taking a sleeping pill and drifting off its so quick you barely have time to finish your name and address before you drift off
then you wake up and dont remember a thing its really not that bad. I will admit ive heard colonscopies can be painful especially when you have organs tethered together with stringy scar tissue (adhesions). I am wondering from what you said if you may possibly also have adhesions/cyst/s as it is pretty common to have pain from scar tissue as well as cysts or endo etc. I get pain around my belly button worse in the morning when i wake (think its because bowel and Bladder full pulling on adhesions plus maybe a cyst, awaiting ct scan results, may still have hysterectomy if all else fails.
Anyway I guess your history and family history is fuelling your belief its got to be something bad but it would be helpful for you to consider it may be something
sortable and smaller. Once again I really think you have nothing to lose to check out Mindfulness Meditation online, cds etc it helps me deal with it and even helps you
to a degree reduce the pain even if it is ongoing. All the best
Thank you so much for your advice. I actually posted this on a nother medical board a few days ago. I decided to come here because it seemed nobody liked talking on the other board lol. I just changed the dates and stuff. I had a very bad panic atttack 2 days ago, it mostly happens when I am in pain bt this attack was MASSIVE. This pain makes me feel more stressed about other things in life that would normally not bother me. I have been taking it easier since then. Relaxing my body and mind and keeping anything too upsetting at arms length away from me for the time being. I will def check those meditation videos out.
One thing I did want to ask though. Did they initially find your adhesions by doing a CT scan? Should I suggest it to my Dr.?
And what I also fear kind of is having a breathing tube in. Idk just that thought is a little frightening.
And Thank you again for your response. It has helped.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
(female)

Jules 59 HB User

Im still awaiting ct scan results it can take two weeks or more only had it last week i guess to rule out Divervulitis or cysts/tumours etc, its an elimination process by the medical profession as Hysterectomy is last thing they or I want to consider, also each operation you have (abdominal/pelvic) can increase scar tissue its a pain in more ways that one! I get the impression from research ive done that ct scans are no good at picking up adhesions, unless you have a adhesion mass (build up), even ultrascans
cannot always pick up adhesions but both pick up cysts,masses inflammation as a result of IBS Divercultiis. Sometimes adhesions can cause kinks in the bowel which can cause IBS pain and constipation etc. There are so many organs particularly in women crammed into the pelvic/abdominal area if you get pain it can inflame an area and if you have surgery it either cures the problem and thats it or adhesions can form like wet cold spagetti attaching to other pelvic organs. The only way to be sure apparently is laparoscopy or hysteroscopy (which i had) where they make three tiny incisions half an inch in your pelvis and feed a microscopic tube into the incision which has a minute camera the size of less than a pen which magnifies to show the surgeon if adhesions are attaching ovary to bowel or other organs then they can be cauturised there and then
but surgeons have to be very very gentle in handling delicate pelvic organs and use
meshes like goretex or others new on the market to reduce inflammation when doing surgery to help prevent more scar tissue forming. In your case bare in mind it may not even be adhesions is your problem but worth asking your Gp if its a possibility as well/or instead of cysts. IBS often complicates things as it throws up pain, gets worse with menstruation, constipation and lower back pain so similar to many pelvic problems in women so often takes years of exploratory work before the real cause is found! Its a journey i know but pain makes me anxious and withdrawn and tired too and its easy to jump from conclusion to conclusion and convince yourself you are two steps from the end which is rarely to case, so keep working on controlling your anxieties with relaxation cds and meditation, light exercise and distraction as best you can from pain and thought processess which just serve to drive you nuts!

Closed Thread