It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
(female)

Bethanie1 HB User
Terrified of cervical biopsy what should I expect?

I have had an abnormal pap for the past two years and am to scared to get the colposcopy/biopsy done. I was sexually abused as a child so I have issues with people doing strange, uncomfortable, painful things in that area. How painful is the biopsy? what kind of pain is it? How long does it last? Can they give me something to help me relax? Also I'm so affraid to find out if I have cancer. I really don't know what I should do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: Terrified of cervical biopsy what should I expect?

Doubt that either of your Pap smears came back as something that was immediately serious, i.e., took two years before something was put into motion.
Relatively speaking, Cancer of the cervix is a fairly slow growing cancer, therefore you probably shouldn't worry about that.
Regarding your following questions, am not sure if they still perform the same procedure that I had done to me over 30 years ago.
Quote:
How painful is the biopsy? what kind of pain is it? How long does it last? Can they give me something to help me relax?
I sincerely DO NOT WANT TO SCARE YOU EVEN FURTHER, but . . . way back then, yeah, the biopsy was painful. It for sure wouldn't have been if he hadn't found soooooo many little growths (enough to nearly fill a vile). Not sure what type of instrument he used to "collect" these HPV's, however I swear it felt like toe nail clippers. Pain really only lasts as long as you are on the examining table.
If I had been given something for the pain prior to this or even something like Valium, it would have made it MUCH MORE BEARABLE.
If I have scared you even more than you already were, I appologize! If you choose to disregard what I have written, I would fully understand.
But, this is something that you can ignore for only so long, before it's too late. You seriously need to discuss this in more detail with your OB/Gyn. It not be a particularly pleasant experience, however the alternative (not having it done) will be way worse.
Take a deep breath and call your doctor -- or even his nurse; betcha you'll feel better afterward.
Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

Grizabella HB User

Hi Bethanie I had one done in March and I'm not going to lie, it wasn't a great experience. The toughest thing for me really was the injection to numb it (but you really do need that!) I advise holding a nurses hand and talking to her to take your mind off it. However the good news is once the procedure is done (and it really doesn't take long, probably 5-10mins) then you shouldn't have too much discomfort afterwards. You'll have some spotting but it won't be too much. Because I had the procedure done on the day I was due to start my period, my period didn't come for another two weeks (maybe it shocked my system into delaying it...?) and then I had a relentless flooding type period as a result but hopefully you won't have to worry about that. The only pain you could get will be sort of like a dragging sensation in your lower half, kind of feels a bit crampy but it's not too bad. However I had abnormal cells removed as well as the biopsy, so if you're just having the biopsy it might not even be half as bad as I've described.

A week ago I had three biopsies in the vulva area and that has been a million times tougher than my cervical one!

Best of luck and hope you get all the all clear (I got the all clear, but I had the abnormal cells removed).

Last edited by Grizabella; 06-03-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
(female)

futurehopenow HB User

i know you probably had the biopsy done already but for the sake of others that might read this, I had the colp and several biopsies done on Tues Sept 13, 2011. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen 1.5 hours before this, had 2 nurses, 1 midwife, the doctor (female) and my fiancee in the room with me. Two ladies held my hand, talked to me and each other, the doc told me what she was about to do before she did it, also talking about how the cervix was looking, and I FELT NOTHING!!! I took real deep breaths and stretched my body out before the biopsies, but FELT NOTHING...no pinch, pull, tug...not even a TOUCH. TAKE THE IBUPROFEN, have WOMEN in their with you, and I am pretty sure you will be fine.
~Laura

Last edited by Administrator; 09-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Closed Thread