It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

philogirl HB User
Mass on Ovary - Scared and in Pain

Two weeks ago I went to the ER with bad abdominal pains because I thought I was having symptoms of appendicitis. After having a CT scan and then a pelvic ultrasound, they discovered a 4.5 cm "complex cystic mass" on my right ovary. The doctor prescribed pain medicine and sent me home with instructions to see a gynocologist. I've never had a cyst before. I should mention I'm 30 years old, married with no children, relatively fit and in otherwise good health.

The pain subsided after a few days, but now it is back again in full force. I'm having bad abdominal pains with a lot of pressure, and I feel very tired and extremely emotional. I'm also terrified because I don't know what this thing is, and I can't get in to see a doctor until Tuesday morning. It's Friday afternoon right now. It's a constant ache, but it's definitely worse whenever I change positions (like go from standing to sitting or vice versa.) Also, it seems to hurt worse if there is anything in my bladder or colon. And my lower back is hurting too. Are these normal symptoms for a cyst? I've been googling like crazy, but I am not having a lot of luck researching this, especially since I don't know what kind of mass/cyst it is.

I'm just really scared, and I'm tired of hurting, and I'm completely freaked out that something horrible is going to happen over the weekend. Also I'm just wondering if it's normal to have bad pain for a few days, little to no pain for a few days, and then moderate pain again.

If anyone has similar experiences or advice about this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User
Re: Mass on Ovary - Scared and in Pain

Sorry your in pain. I had the same thing. And they can feel like your dying. You need to get to a doctor. It's not just going to go away. You need treatment. It will most likely keep growing if you don't. It's scary,but the best thing is to see a gyno. If you don't you may end up losing your ovary esp if the cyst ruptures. That is a whole new level of pain!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
(female)

philogirl HB User

I have an appointment on Tuesday, and I don't think I can get in to see anyone before that, so I think I just have to bear it until then, but I'm just really scared about it all, and I don't know if it's normal to hurt for so many days. What is the treatment?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

Often times they will try the old lets see if birth control pills work. They actually made my problems worst. The other treatment is a laparoscopic surgery. It sounds scary,I was really scared. But it isn't as bad as you might think. You don't even have to stay over night in the hospital. Unless of a rare complication. They would remove the cyst by going thur your belly button. Google it. That is the only treatments I know of. Your doctor might try the wait and see on you,but if you went to the ER and have as much pain as you are describing I think you need some type of treatment. There might be other treatments I'm not aware of too. If you get a fever please call the doctor or go the ER. I'm not trying to scare you, but that might indicate the cycst ruptured. To answer your question about the pain lasting. I suffered a long time before I found the right doctor to help me. I also had other problems. But yes they do hurt. Good luck with your appt,let me know how it goes. I hope you feel better soon

Last edited by MagicPotion; 06-21-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Closed Thread