It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

tymestwo HB User
stopped pill after 20yrs. now tying to conceive, but no period

I have been on the pill for 20 years. Now, after being married one year, we would like to try to have a baby. I stopped the pill in Jan. and have not had a "normal" period since. Once a month I notice brownish discharge after going to the bathroom, then nothing! It doesnt happpen same time each month either. Has anyone had anything similar? I have doc appt mid July.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User
Re: stopped pill after 20yrs. now tying to conceive, but no period

hi
It took my body about a year of being off the pill to start getting more "normal" periods. Talking to the doctor is indeed a good idea for you if you're planning on conceiving.

I have also one more advice. While you try to sort things out and wait for your body and hormones to regulate themselves, see the doctor (who will do some blood test, ultrasound probably, and may even give you some pills to induce your period), why don't you try taking your BBT. All you do is take temperature every morning at the same time everyday and you can use online software to input the data and it will tell you if/when you ovulate. You can also check your cervical mucus. Fertile mucus will look like raw egg whites, very stretchy and clear. That's when you have to have sex. Once you get the hand of it, you will know what your body is doing. Right now the first thing you need is to figure if/when you ovulate.

The thing is it may take time. I know it seems like eternity when you want to have a baby. Been there done that) But your ovaries have been inactive for quite a while. While on the pill, you did not have true periods (as true natural periods follow ovulation, which bcp prevents you from) but rather chemically induced bleeding. Therefore, it may take longer for your body to regulate, start ovulating and have natural periods.
Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-27-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

tymestwo HB User

Thank you SO much for your great advice :} I will definalty try all you've mentioned. Just wondering..did you, or do you know of anyone who has this,(no period), then have successfully gotten pregnant after finally knowing when ovalating? Is this normal? Thanks for the well wishes and your reply!

The following user gives a hug of support to tymestwo:
Ksusha77 (07-03-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

Oh, no problem. I am really glad to be able to help if I can.
On your question (whether I know anyone who got pregnant after not having regular cycles, or after bcp)--Yes, many. Even me.. Yes, it took me 18 months to get pregnant after my last pill, but I know my cycles got better, my luteal phase (time from your ovulation to when you get your period that is very important for pregnancy to "stick") got longer, which is better. Unfortunately, I didn't get to bring the baby home because of chromosomal abnormality that was found in my baby when I was 4 and 1/2 months pregnant, but that had nothing to do with irregular periods or birth control. I know a woman who according to her never gets her period and she has two children. You would find a great number of people who successfully conceived after bcp or with irregular cycles (like me).
Even if you had a problem, there are a lot of meds to help you conceive, make you ovulate.
But I hope you will get some reassurance from the doctor next month so you don't have to stress about these things. But knowing when you ovulate will definitely help you, especially if you have irregular cycles.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ksusha77:
tymestwo (06-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ksusha77 For This Useful Post:
tymestwo (06-28-2011)
Closed Thread