It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

raymae HB User
Question heavy periods and spotting between cycles

Hi... Ive always suffered from heavy periods and was on the contraceptive pill for this reason for 12 years. I stopped 3 years a go due to having a cervical erosion which was cauterised...Had an internal ultra sound also and all was fine. My periods have been awful again since stopping the pill. My periods are usually 7 days long and extremely heavy for around 3 to 4 of those days with flooding and clots. I am iron defficient anemic thru this. I always spot for 2 days prior to my period and spot a tiny bit if i have intercourse just before or after a period. This month my period went on for 9 days and was that heavy i felt i was going to pass out. i see the gp who has prescribed me tranexamic acid and told me to consider the marina coil. Since seeing the doctor i have started spotting again (day 13 of my cycle) which is something that has not happened before. Any ideas to what is going on? Im 37 and mum of two. I have a cervical smear test due again this year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: heavy periods and spotting between cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymae View Post
Hi... Ive always suffered from heavy periods and was on the contraceptive pill for this reason for 12 years. I stopped 3 years a go due to having a cervical erosion which was cauterised...Had an internal ultra sound also and all was fine. My periods have been awful again since stopping the pill. My periods are usually 7 days long and extremely heavy for around 3 to 4 of those days with flooding and clots. I am iron defficient anemic thru this. I always spot for 2 days prior to my period and spot a tiny bit if i have intercourse just before or after a period. This month my period went on for 9 days and was that heavy i felt i was going to pass out. i see the gp who has prescribed me tranexamic acid and told me to consider the marina coil. Since seeing the doctor i have started spotting again (day 13 of my cycle) which is something that has not happened before. Any ideas to what is going on? Im 37 and mum of two. I have a cervical smear test due again this year.
I had spotting between periods last year, and it turned out to be a benign endometrial polyp.
They did a D&C and hysteroscopy (where they put a camera into your uterus and look around) and removed the polyp, and I had no further problems with spotting.
Both endometrial and cervical polyps are common in women our age who have children.
The main symptom they cause is intermenstrual spotting or bleeding; they are usually benign and are considered more of a nuisance than a serious health threat, but it is always wise to have them removed, just to make sure they aren't cancer (less than 1% of cases are), and also to put a stop to the annoying symptoms.

best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread