It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

northhillgal HB User
Rectocele repair question

I am 49 years old and am scheduled for a rectocele repair in a couple of months. I have a large rectocele which bulges through the vagina. I first noticed the bulging feeling 25 years ago when pregnant with my second child. I talked to my doctor about it at the time, he examined me but was unable to discover what the problem was. Since that time it has gotten progressively worse, to the point where it continually bulges into the vagina. I am unable to have a bowel movement without pressing against the bulge and pushing it up where it belongs. I suffer from regular bouts of constipation which of course makes it worse.

My gynecologist briefed me on what to expect. (i.e., a couple of days in hospital, I will go home with a catheter which will be removed in a week or so, that I must avoid getting constipated, and that there is a 30% failure rate with the surgery, or need to redo it).

Now I would like to know what to expect from others who have gone through the same thing. From what I understand my surgery will be done vaginally. What can I expect for pain postop? Will I receive post op pain medication? How long of a hospital stay can I expect? What about bowel movements afterwards? Should I be taking laxatives or stool softeners? I live alone, will I need "help" for the first few days after discharge? How soon will I be able to return to work?

I look forward to hearing from people.

The following user gives a hug of support to northhillgal:
JanaJ (11-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User
Re: Rectocele repair question

I was just wondering if you had your repairs yet. I am 6 weeks post op from having my uterus suspension, 3rd stage cystocele repair and rectocele repair. I was wondering if there is anything we could help each other with.

Aleet7

The following user gives a hug of support to aleet7:
northhillgal (09-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to aleet7 For This Useful Post:
northhillgal (09-17-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

northhillgal HB User

Believe it or not, I am scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I am getting fairly apprehensive right now. My sister just had a cystocele repair, some polyps removed and libation 3 days ago. She went in at 8:30 am, went to the OR at 10:30 am and was home sitting on her couch at 2:00 p.m. that day. She is uncomfortable, but not in agony. If she overdoes it she pays for it. She finds the best position is sitting with her feet up. The doctor told her she only needed the two days off from work, but clearly it will take a bit more recovery than that.

As for me, they suggested 6 weeks. I have a grade 3 rectocele, a cystocele and my uterus has dropped some.

A few years ago I had a surgery where I was awake and unable to tell them, so as you can imagine this has me very apprehensive. I have met twice with an anesthesiologist and he assures me he will keep me asleep, but the chance is always there.

How has your recovery been? Are you still spotting? My friend had a rectocele repair about a year ago and weeks later was still bleeding fairly heavily. It turned out she was allergic to the desolving sutures, and once the gynechologist removed them things cleared up. Do you still have pain? Are you ready to return to work or all your normal activities yet? I have lots more questions...
Lori

Last edited by moderator2; 09-16-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Hi Lori,
I've read some serious horror stories about these repairs which made me apprehensive about getting it done. I have to say that the worse days were of course the first couple days but they were not unbearable! The first day my pain was managed by taking Norco and Ibuprofen...by night time I needed something stonger. The second day I was getting around good. My bladder had not awaken so I came home using a catheter. I only had to catheter myself for two days and I had some soreness. I have to say that I am so happy that I had this done. I could tell a difference right away! The pressure in my seat area and being able to have a bm was so much better! I hope that your repairs are uneventful as mine!

Best Wishes,
Aleet7

The Following User Says Thank You to aleet7 For This Useful Post:
northhillgal (09-22-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
(female)

DMSHappyFace HB User

Dear NorthHillGal;
I am 6 weeks post-op from a cystocele & rectocele. It was done vaginally and I honestly have had NO pain. Not sure why, but don't want to question why not! I was in the hospital 4 days, catheter was removed the morning of my discharge. I had slight bleeding for about 2 1/2 weeks. Dr did warn, NO lifting over 10 lbs for at least 3 months. Bowel movements have been fine, but apparently it is a good idea to take a stool softener, that will help. I never had a problem. The only problem I have found is my husband and I are now intimate again (it was a looong 6 weeks) and he said he feels something stopping him from entering me all the way. I have no pain or discomfort, he just says it is like there is a wall blocking him from going up into me. Has anyone else had this problem? I am concerned that this will be ongoing. Should I go back to the Dr and share this information with him? Good luck NorthHillGirl. Just RELAX after your surgery. You will be VERY tired, so don't do anything! Seriously! Yes, have someone stay with you for a couple days. But.....NO reaching, NO bending, NO lifting (NONE)!, NO vacuuming, NO sweeping....just relax...you can get back into your daily routine a couple months after the surgery. Good luck, take care.
DMSHappyFace

Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

northhillgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSHappyFace View Post
Dear NorthHillGal;
I am 6 weeks post-op from a cystocele & rectocele. It was done vaginally and I honestly have had NO pain. Not sure why, but don't want to question why not! I was in the hospital 4 days, catheter was removed the morning of my discharge. I had slight bleeding for about 2 1/2 weeks. Dr did warn, NO lifting over 10 lbs for at least 3 months. Bowel movements have been fine, but apparently it is a good idea to take a stool softener, that will help. I never had a problem. The only problem I have found is my husband and I are now intimate again (it was a looong 6 weeks) and he said he feels something stopping him from entering me all the way. I have no pain or discomfort, he just says it is like there is a wall blocking him from going up into me. Has anyone else had this problem? I am concerned that this will be ongoing. Should I go back to the Dr and share this information with him? Good luck NorthHillGirl. Just RELAX after your surgery. You will be VERY tired, so don't do anything! Seriously! Yes, have someone stay with you for a couple days. But.....NO reaching, NO bending, NO lifting (NONE)!, NO vacuuming, NO sweeping....just relax...you can get back into your daily routine a couple months after the surgery. Good luck, take care.
DMSHappyFace
I am now 4 weeks post surgical. I actually feel great. I certainly had pain in the hospital, but it wasn't unmanageable or excruciating. In fact I was up walking my visitors to the door of the hospital by the next day. My sister who had a bladder tape two weeks before was still very uncomfortable and found walking painful. She was amazed I was up and about so quickly.

I did end up with a nasty urinary tract infection, which I had in the hospital, while the catheter was in. It took 3 rounds of 3 different antibiotics before they found the right one.

I had very little bleeding, scant is how I would describe it. One of the problems with feeling so good was I constantly over did it and then would start bleeding again. Of course I wouldn't know I over did it until later in the day when the bleeding would start.

I continue to take daily stool softeners and have not had any problems what so ever. However, a couple of days ago I noticed some bulging "down there". I could actually feel the suture line outside, and it was separated. It is healed and I have no pain so I have decided it isn't anything to worry about. I have an appointment to see the surgeon in two weeks, I am sure he will see it as well.

I have not resumed sexual activity yet, so can't comment on that. Did they use the transvaginal mesh? I am wondering if that is pushing against the vaginal wall and that is what is "blocking the way". I would certainly ask your doctor about this.

I am glad your surgery went so well. Mine has too, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
(female)

northhillgal HB User

I had heard about a class action suit regarding the transvaginal mesh before I had my surgery. I asked my obgyn about it and he told me that he had been using the mesh and doing the surgery for 20 years and had never had a problem with it. I trusted him.

As I said, I feel excellent and have had no problems with the surgery. I have spent 24 years with a very large rectocele that I physically had to push up and hold in place with my hand while I had a bowel movement. Would I go back to that? NEVER! Maybe I am a lucky one to not have complications. I do know that based on my experience I would recommend the surgery to others.

Lori

Last edited by moderator2; 10-31-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
(female)

Hi DMSHappyFace, I'm almost 3 months post op and doing great! Upon my 6 week appointment my doc told me that I had scar tissue from the surgery which I might feel and may not feel. Well, I do feel it and it causes dear hubby to be super careful with me. I was wondering if it could be mesh that is holding him back. I also have the mesh but it is very high in the pelvic area. I have read stories of mesh being in the way. I would mention this to my doc to find out what the issue could be.

Best Wishes!
Aleet7

Closed Thread