It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

cstyles HB User
What are my chances of having twins?

My husband and I are thinking of trying for number 4! I will be 30 in the next few months. I know once you turn 30 your chances go up for having twins some. Also, I have identical twin brothers, and my grandma was a fraternal twin and her mom had 2 other sets of twins. So, my question is how high are my chances of having twins??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: What are my chances of having twins?

In your mid to late 30s and 40s, your chance of conceiving (fraternal) twins is about one in 38.
I don't know how much a family history of twins increases your chances; I know there's some sort of hereditary component there, I'm just not sure how much of one. I believe that only the mother's family history of twins matters, not the father's... because it's all about how likely a woman is to release two eggs simultaneously. You might be genetically predisposed to releasing multiple eggs; as you age, you are also more likely to do so (ironically, since other months you won't ovulate at all, as you age).
Of course, that's only fraternal twins that I'm talking about; identical twins are far more rare, and I don't believe there is any genetic component with identical twins, which occur when two sperm fertilize the same egg, and are basically just a matter of random chance.

I'm currently 38 and pregnant, and had wondered about my odds of having twins this time, which is why I did some research.
It turns out I've only got one bun in the oven, however, and I'm actually pretty glad about that.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Kali333; 07-12-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

cstyles HB User
Re: What are my chances of having twins?

Yea, I only want one so if my chances are really high I don't think we will try. My husband works nights and 2 babies at once would be very hard!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Smile Re: What are my chances of having twins?

This subject fascinates me ! I'm a fraternal twin, my great grandmother had ftwins, and her daughter had ftwins. I'm pushing 35 and have 8 children (7 biological) and I've never had twins although I'd love to (currently expecting #9 but still very early and no u/s yet so I have no idea if there's more than one) .

The odds of having twins:

General population: 3 in 100 (<3%)
Being a fraternal twin: as high as 1 in 17 (almost 6%)
Age: 4% @ 30-34yrs, 5% @ 35-39yrs and up to 11% (1in9) after age 45yrs
Increases with every pregnancy but not significantly

So you personally have a >90% chance of *not* having twins...I say go for #4...I've never heard an empty-nester say they wish they wouldn't have had so many kids but I've heard many of them wish they would have had more . Even if you ended up with twins...sure, it would be tough the first year or so but what a life time of adventure!

Take Care!

Closed Thread