It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

rmsz HB User
What are the chances of getting pregnant after protected sex?

Hi, I'm new, so I apologize for the long post, not sure how this works exactly.

My boyfriend and I had sex 9 days ago. He used a condom and I'm on the pill. However, I don't use the pill mainly for birth control, I used to to make my period regular and to ease cramps (I'm on lo-estrin 24 fe, I believe its called). In order for it to work for my purpose, I don't take it exactly the same time everyday, usually within a few hours, and I've been told different things by different people about whether that works or not.

For the next 2 days after we had sex, there was light bleeding when I went to the bathroom, only a few drops of blood (It was not my first time, but i havent had sex in a year and he was much larger than my ex, and we were pretty rough). My breasts were NOT sore, but my stomach hurt lightly and I've felt pretty bloated. I've been really stressed do to other reasons and so that already causes me a lack of appetite (plus Im on a medicine that has a side-effect of reducing appetite), and stress makes me nauseous, so I can't tell if that's a sign or just my usual state.

I also have had a few busy weeks (4th of july party, birthdays, trips with friends) so I havent been eating the healthiest, which is why i cant tell if the bloating is from sex or just not being healthy.

I know it's possible to convince yourself of pregnancy symptoms, but I guess I'm just paranoid because this didn't happen with my ex, and I haven't been with anyone else. Also, I'm afraid of waiting for my period just because the birth control I'm taking has stopped the bleeding the majority of the time I have my period. This has been happening for months, so I won't be able to tell if it's pregnancy or the pill, and if I'm stressing this much I may not get it at all.

I know the chances of getting pregnant with 2 forms of birth control are slim, but I'm still just very worried. I don't want to freak out (more than I already have) and speed over to planned parenthood, but I'm really nervous about this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've read so many different things that I'm just scared at this point.

One last thing to note, my blood tests are clean. No STDS, no medical issues, no infections, etc.

Thank you so much, sorry for the long post!

The Following User Says Thank You to rmsz For This Useful Post:
pursefreak (08-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What are the chances of getting pregnant after protected sex?

If a condom is used correctly and doesn't break, the probability of pregnancy is quite low. Tough to find exact numbers, but I don't know anyone it's happened to.

If the Pill is taken perfectly, the probability of failure is less than 1% per year of regular intercourse. In the real world, the failure rate is around 3% per year, due to people not quite taking it right all the time.

In any case, it's impossible for pregnancy symptoms to appear less than 7 days after intercourse, and anything before 10 days is rare. That's the minimum time required for an embryo to form, drift down to the uterus, burrow in, find a blood vessel and start secreting a special hormone. When life begins is a subject I won't touch, but when the first drop of hormone hits a woman's bloodstream, that's when pregnancy begins. So, anything you felt 2 days after sex had nothing to do with pregnancy.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Since you are already taking the birth control pill, why not go ahead and use it to it's fullest advantage, as a form of reliable birth control as well? It sounds like simply adjusting things, by taking them closely timed would be so good would be great. You are not completely forgetting to taje them are your?

Get that little fact into order and lead the significant woman into the practically 100% jungle, rather than simply the "whatever" category.

Good night!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

rmsz HB User

Thanks for the replies.. I really appreciate it.

I'm probably just being paranoid because it was my second time with someone, so I'm not sure what to expect on how I feel after.

And as for the pill, I haven't forgotten any, but I haven't taken them the exact same time so I'm not sure if it's effective as protection, since up until this point I've taken them to lessen cramp pain and make myself regular. I started a job so I don't really have a chance to take the pill at the same time because my break is always different and I can't carry anything on me while I'm working. I'm probably going to start taking them in the morning when I wake up next month and see if that fixes that problem.

Thanks alot for the answers

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm pretty sure you're safe!
don't worry!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

pursefreak HB User

Thanks for posting this. I was worried about the same thing. I am on Zovia - take it the same time every day for a year straight though, and he used protection. But I'm the nervous type and have worked myself into a tizzy. Everything i have found has said that I should be okay. It's nice to know that there are other people out there who worry as well

Closed Thread