It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

Clarina1980 HB User
Long Term Bleeding Issues

I'm afraid this is going to be a long question.

I'm 30 and since I was around 19 I have had very irregular cycles. Sometimes I will bleed non stop for 6 months, sometimes I won't bleed at all for 6 months. I often bleed during intercourse and vaginally during a bowel movement. It doesn't take much to set it off. Occasionally I get pains in my ovaries but apart from bleeding I don't have many other symptoms. I don't ovulate, I have been testing for a while now but FSH tests are normal.
I am obese and a smoker/non drinker with no children.

I have a lot of issues with being touched due to abuse from a doctor as a child, which is why I haven't brought this up with any doctor before. (I have to take a sedative just to see a doctor about an Asthma check up)

I hope someone can help me.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Long Term Bleeding Issues

That sounds a lot like polycystic ovary syndrome. The irregular bleeding, no ovulations and obesity are all symptoms. A lot of body hair is another symptom.

If that's the problem, there are drugs that may help regulate your hormones. Birth control pills can sometimes end the constant bleeding. (And seriously, if you're bleeding that much, you're at risk for anemia.)

Is it possible you could go to the doctor with an advocate? Ask around, see if there is a gynecologist or family medicine doctor in your area who is particularly sensitive to patient's needs. You have to deal with this, it's putting you at risk in many ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Clarina1980 (07-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello Clarina,

With your women's health history, it is important to start the process of getting yourself a proper diagnosis, and on to treatment. I say process, because it is...one step at a time. As you mentioned, even a trip to discuss asthma need a sedative to even embark on. It is likely that this will also require some sort of intervention to get you thorough it, as well as a empathic staff at the OBGyn. You should have no shame in bringing these issues up in your pre-visit phone call, and if speaking the words is too difficult, writing it out will delay the appointment a bit, but will be well worth it to bring up to the staff. Having a trustworthy friend come along would be great too.

I agree that the simple use of BC pills would likely be a first step. Making this first step quite easy. It could be all you need to get things going in the right direction. and greatly ease your mind! Please feel free to ask everything you want to, to help you throught all this...

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
Clarina1980 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
(female)

Clarina1980 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies

I'm in the UK so we have the NHS and we have to go through our GP for tests rather than finding an ObGyn, which kind of makes my problem worse. There really are no sensitive doctors there, they are all extremely patronising. You get a 12 minute appointment and they don't listen to you

I've believed for a long time that what i'm dealing with is PCOS as was mentioned about the hair growth which I do have unfortunately. But the most heartbreaking part is the infertility. The rest i've learnt to deal with as in the most part, the bleeding is quite light, even if it's constant.

I think the hardest thing will be trying to bring up the subject to a doctor, especially my fears and the reasons behind them. I have no problem with things like blood tests but if it comes to even a simple exam, just the thought of it has me on the verge of passing out and for days before an appointment I am sick, shaking, having nightmares etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, maybe a counselor or psychotherapist who deals with assault and trauma can help you get medical treatment with a minimum of anxiety.

Losing weight can improve the hormone balance in PCOS, but the imbalanced hormones can make it extremely difficult to lose in the first place, so that's something of a dilemma.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Clarina1980 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

Clarina1980 HB User

Thanks Jane, I was seeing a counselor back in '06/'07 but SHE claimed she wasn't being of any help to me lol. Maybe i'm beyond fixing. They put me on Citalopram and Lorazepam, which i'm still taking even though it says on the Lorazepam not to be taken for longer than around 6 weeks The only thing that keeps me half sane is thinking that i've had these probs for 11yrs+ so if it was anything like Cancer i'd know by now.

I'm working really hard on losing weight right now so fingers crossed it helps

Oh by the way, I was looking into the contraceptive pill but very concerned about the possible side effects... blood clots/strokes etc, seeing as that i'm already overweight and a smoker. Trying to stop that too though.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
(female)

Sara8314 HB User

Clarina-- I also suffer from long term bleeding. It sucks but good to know that I am not the only one in the world suffering from this. I am on month 4 of bleeding. I stop for a day or so and then it just starts up again. Also, I am obese. I cannot afford to go to the doctor about this though. So I have to do lots of research and then try to self help. I too think its PCOS...I hope you get the help you're looking for.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sara: There's a Planned Parenthood center in your town. Call them up, see what it would cost for a visit and possibly getting on birth control. When I was poor and on birth control, I paid NOTHING for my pills or annual exams, but I lived in a different state.

Clarina: The risks of blood clot or stroke from the pill are a lot lower than they used to be. I believe some brands have lower risk than others also. But since you are thinking of pregnancy, metformin (diabetes drug) might be a better option. Or, you could take birth control just for a few months, to improve your health, and monitor your blood pressure carefully while taking it.

Closed Thread