It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

pursefreak HB User
Two Questions - Continuous Birth Control / Pregnancy

Hi,

I am on Zovia 1/35E. I have been taking it continuously for a little over a year. My OB Gyn said there was no reason for me to have a period, and I could take it straight through. I take the pill regularly every day.

I haven't been able to find anything about taking the pill continuously as far as adverse side effects or dangers of doing this long term. Has anyone heard anything?

Also, I recently had sex with a condom twice and am on the pill. Could I still get pregnant? Since I don't get a period, I have no way of knowing if I am late. I feel fine and don't have any of the symptoms, but I am freaking myself out.

Thanks
Pursefreak

Last edited by pursefreak; 08-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Two Questions - Continuous Birth Control / Pregnancy

When birth control pills were still invented, doctors recommended that women take it 3 weeks on / 1 week off, to still have a period. However, in recent years, experiments have found that, at least for low-dose pills, it's perfectly safe to take it without breaks.

If you are taking your BC correctly, at (approximately) the same time every day, it is VERY unlikely you will get pregnant. Studies show that when oral contraceptives are used correctly, the chance of becoming pregnant is less than 1% per YEAR of regular intercourse. (Without any birth control, the chance is about 20% per month!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

pursefreak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
When birth control pills were still invented, doctors recommended that women take it 3 weeks on / 1 week off, to still have a period. However, in recent years, experiments have found that, at least for low-dose pills, it's perfectly safe to take it without breaks.

If you are taking your BC correctly, at (approximately) the same time every day, it is VERY unlikely you will get pregnant. Studies show that when oral contraceptives are used correctly, the chance of becoming pregnant is less than 1% per YEAR of regular intercourse. (Without any birth control, the chance is about 20% per month!)
Thanks. I do take it approximately the same time every day with the exception of the weekends where there might be an hour or two lag if I sleep in. We also used condoms, so I am hoping that I am safe, and just panicking for nothing.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'm pretty sure you're safe. I think its great that you're using both, its extra protection that way!

Closed Thread