It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

1Jewel HB User
Question Have you ever had a Uterine Polyp ??

After having a transvaginal & abdominal exam, i was told that i could have a Uterine Polyp. Are Uterine Polyps and Uterine Fibroids ever mistaken with eachother ? I've read up on all of the symptoms for both and want to know if weight gain could be one of the symptoms also that's just not mentioned as frequently as the rest. I saw that with the Uterine Fibroids it develops within the muscle tissue and make the abdomen appear thick or as if you are pregnant.

Also, in 2005 i had my tubes tied and have since then had irregular periods, heavy bleeding, weight gain, migranes, pain in my legs etc. When i go in for my surgery to have it removed, is that at which point that they will determine which it is ? I know that the Polyp gets sent somewhere to detect if its Cancerous etc. But how are Uterine Fibroids treated ? I know i just asked a million and 1 questions, but please share your answers to either of them. Thank you !!

Last edited by 1Jewel; 08-12-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Uterine Polyp

Did they the sonohystogram or just a transvaginal ultrasound? They can see on the screen how big it is and where it's located, but only a sonohystogram (where they insert water with a catheter through the cervix to see inside the uterus) whether it's a fibroid or a polyp.

Polyps are no big deal but they cause primarily heavy periods, pain and irregular bleeding. I've had them removed 6 times (they keep coming back). I never experienced weight gain with them. It's a very easy surgery where they just go in and snip it off at the stalk, no incisions needed. You can be back at work within 2 days.

The fibroid, however, is a very difficult problem. Because it grows into the muscle, it's harder to get removed. I just had a fibroid removed (it was the size of a grapefruit) and it required a 6 inch incision in my abdomen along with an 8 week recovery. It was a very painful recovery and not fun at all. I became severely anemic from the extreme heavy bleeding before the surgery and required numerous transfusions. The heavy bleeding from a fibroid is different because it's literally non stop with huge clots that lasts for a very long time. With the polyp, it's more like just a more heavy period every month with spotting in between.

I dont think either of them cause weight gain but they cause a heavy and/or irregular bleeding and pain problems. Between the 2, you want a polyp because it's so easy to take care of. Fibroids are very difficult to deal with because the recovery after an open abdominal surgery is very long and very painful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
1Jewel (08-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

1Jewel HB User
Thumbs up Re: Uterine Polyp

Thank you so much Kszan for responding to my post. Its truly a blessing to hear from actual people who have had their experience with things such as these. I have not yet had the Sonohystogram. I'm guessing they will do that at either the Pre-Op or the day of Hysteroscopy D & C. So being that i have not yet had that procedure done yet, its still unclear as to exactly which one it is... or both, hopefully not.

Also, did you ever experince leg and foot pain/soarness that were not from walking or tight shoes ? I have a lot of that going on also and was told that is also a symptom of the Uterine Fibroids. Scheduled for a Pre-Op soon and ready to move forward with this thing. I appreciate your help! Thanks again

Last edited by 1Jewel; 08-12-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Uterine Polyp

I don't think I had any foot pain with the fibroid, but I had some referred pain to my legs, sort of. I have read it's possible for the pain from the fibroid to transfer to your upper thigh area, but I didn't think it would travel all the way to the foot.

As for the sonohystogram, they would likely want to do that before you schedule your surgery so they know whether just a polypectomy/hysteroscope is needed or if you need a full abdominal laprotomy. Otherwise they won't know how much time to schedule for the procedure. I've had that done in the gyne's office by the ultrasound tech, it's pretty simple. It's just uncomfortable because it's no fun having a catheter threaded through your cervix. But once they do that, the water in the uterine cavity will allow them to see whether it's a fibroid or a polyp. A regular TV ultrasound only shows a small amount of detail, enough to show there's something there but not with any clarity, that's why they do the sonohystogram to confirm what is there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
1Jewel (08-12-2011)
Closed Thread