It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
(female)

samara325 HB User
First Gyno exam help!!

Hi everybody!
I'm new here, in 5 days i have my first gyno exam and i'm a bit desperate cause I'm still a virgin, and my mom told me that because of that the doctor is probably going to do a rectal exam instead. I'm just too ashamed to ask my mom ,can somebody tell me how is the exam itself and how does it feels? I'm really freaking out :S
Thank you very much

Last edited by samara325; 08-19-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: First Gyno exam help!!

Hmmmm, not sure about what your mom said. Have never heard that. When I have had a gyno physical they have always (going on 40 years now!) done both - vaginal and rectal. The vaginal exam includes a pap smear and the rectal checks for any blood in the rectum.

I know it's scary the first time but hoepfully you're going to a female gyno and she can walk you thru it. Just tell the nurse when you go back to the exam room that you've never had one before and are a virgin. She'll communicate that to the doctor and you can have a chat about what all she is going to do.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

samara325 HB User

Thanks for your reply, I have been researching a bit more, and I have read that some doctors do a rectal exam instead of the pap smear. In what exactly consists the rectal exam? I know the doc will check there but... what else? Of course i'm going to ask her before, but anyways i'm a bit doubtful

Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

For a rectal exam the doctor will just insert a finger (gloved and KY'd) into the anus to get a sample. Takes all of one or two seconds. She's put that on a slide thing and then they test is before you leave.

Closed Thread