It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

BooksRule HB User
Thumbs up Don't put off getting regular mammograms...

...I did, but luckily my story has a happy ending!
My mom was a breast cancer survivor (she had it maybe 30 years ago). Her sister is also a breast cancer survivor. So, we have it 'in the family' along with other types of cancer.
I was always good about getting my mammograms on a regular basis, starting when I was around 35 or so. Well, one thing led to another, and I put getting my regular mammogram (and a regular gyn check-up) on the back burner. Before I knew it, 10 years had gone by!
I finally made an appointment for a checkup at the women's clinic this past January (nothing wrong found). However, I waited until this week to get my mammogram done. When I was almost ready to leave, I was called back so that they could take some more pictures. The tech showed me a spot that they were concerned about. Then, they decided to do an ultrasound. Ultimately, they decided to have me come back later that afternoon for a needle biopsy. Freak out time!
This was Wednesday afternoon. I hung around waiting for a call back on the pathology report. By late Friday afternoon, I was a nervous wreck and had decided that they wouldn't call until Monday. I was already planning how I was going to tell my family the bad news. Then I got the call that all they had found was fibrous tissue and everything was benign.
This was a hard lesson learned. Anytime 'something' is found on a mammogram, it's scary. But since I had let so much time pass between mammograms and also have a history of breast cancer in the family I made it worse for myself. So the morale of this story is: Get your mammogram when you should have one done! Never, never, never will I wait so long again. It's too scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Don't put off getting regular mammograms...

I am a few weeks past my mammogram due date. Thanks for reminding me to get on this, and no more procrastinating!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
(female)

BooksRule HB User

...oops, no happy ending yet. (I hate those 'follow up' calls that you get the next day--the ones where the other shoe falls.) The radiologist recommended that even though the needle biopsy was benign, the appearance of the 'abnormality' warrants more treatment (since a needle biopsy can miss bad cells, and this type of abnormality can mimic cancer). So, it looks like I'll probably have to have an excisional biopsy (surgical). Yikes!

I'll know more when I contact my doctor. Hopefully, happy updates soon!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

BooksRule HB User

Here is the end to my story (at least until next year!):

Got results of my excisional biopsy this morning. Benign! Now I can relax for a while.

Closed Thread