It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

painandshame HB User
Vaginal brown discharge/foul odor and increasing discomfort- HELP!!

Hi, This is embarrassing and painful but I need help.

Last month, between totally regular, normal periods, I had a watery brown discharge for 2 days. It was foul smelling and very soppy but aside from the smell it seemed like dried blood finally coming down.

This last week I began noticing a foul smell whenever I went to the bathroom. It smelt like fecal matter, so I simply thought it was my bowels giving me a hard time. I was mortified to find out that during intercourse later that day, the foul smell increased. It was emitting from deep within my vagina! My husband politely told me I smelled 'yeasty' but I have had many yeast/BV infections and even PID and nothing compared to this! Furthermore, there is no itching or irritation. I would never have known about the smell if we hadn't engaged in sex.

I took some AZO yeast and medicated with some anti-yeast suppositories but it has been over a week and the smell has only increased. The brown, watery discharge has also come back. It literally smells like a rat crawled up there and died. Furthermore, I am beginning to feel very sore deep inside my vagina, close to my cervix, (almost like the onset of a PID). I did a pregnancy check: I am not pregnant. My husband swears he can 'feel' something rough at the end of my vagina during intercourse. I had a PAP smear/colposcopy 6 months ago and they told me that I was in the clear with regard to HPV (previously I had been on the alert to make sure nothing spread, but the doctors told me they hadn't seen any growth and that I was looking okay).

I've had ovarian cysts before, but they were removed. I've had a lot of women's issues in the past, but nothing this elusive or mystifying (or gross). Even my yeast infections are less smelly with less discharge than this! Help, does this sound like anything? I've looked at possible causes online and there are very few things that meet the criteria of fouls-smelling w/brown discharge with NO irritation and I am at a loss.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or tell me of a similar experiences/paralleling symptoms and the solution, I would be so so grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

beatriceakitty HB User
Re: Vaginal brown discharge/foul odor and increasing discomfort- HELP!!

Could you possible have a fistula? That's the only thing I can come up with. I think you should go to the gyno and have them take a look.

Last edited by mod85; 10-09-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

painandshame HB User

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to the gyno to make sure nothing else is wrong. Unfortunately I am far out of town. The good news is that last night, after spending 2 horrible hours in the bathroom, I finally passed a tampon. The scary thing is it was only 1/2 of the tampon!!! I know what you are thinking- that I made the classic move of forgetting the tampon and then having sex and stuffing it back up there. This will scare you, but I didn't forget to remove the tampon! It was simply so large it must have broken off inside of me!

As I recall, I had a very unusually heavy menstruation last month and used a super-size tampon to quench the flow. (Normally I use one small tampon for heaviest part of menstruation since I am very light). I remember removing the super size tampon a few hours after inserting it because it was very large and kept slipping out of my vagina and staining my undies. I removed it and settled for using a pad. I guess the moisture must have swollen it to 3x's larger than its usual size and it must have broken off while it was still inside.

When I passed it the rest of it in the toilet yesterday it was 2x's bigger than what it had been in the package!! It was as large as a piece of fecal matter (sorry to be gross, but that's how large it had gotten). I am hoping there are no more 'bits' left behind. As of this morning I feel much better, although my cervix feels sore and I am going to have a check to make sure there is no permanent damage or inflammation. The discharge and stench is gone and the healthy, normal feminine scent has returned although now I am mildly itchy (presumably from a yeast infection upon the deposit of the tampon). Ah, you can cure one thing only to get another.

Thanks for the help. I hope people keep posting or that my experience can help someone with the same issue. This was a really scary/painful/gross/embarrassing situation for me and I appreciate the quick response and the forum. The moral: Don't use super-size tampons! Just get a maxipad!!

The Following User Says Thank You to painandshame For This Useful Post:
AnnieBinFL (02-10-2012)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
(female)

emilyn HB User

I can't thank you guys enough for posting this. I had been dealing with the same issues for the past two weeks and I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I had the discharge and the cramps were getting worse so I decided to google it. After reading these posts earlier today, I laughed at myself and thought "who on earth wouldn't know that they had a tampon in for a long time??" I closed the internet and went about my business. Then I started thinking about the posts and couldn't help but check myself just to shut my mind up. I was absolutely SHOCKED to find an old tampon inside me. I haven't had my period in about two weeks so it had been in there that long. The string had long disintegrated which is why I think I didn't notice it earlier. It was awful!!! I couldn't believe that the source of all of this odor and discomfort was from something so crazy. I seriously can't thank you as much as I want to for talking about this. Its so dangerous and toxic and I'm very lucky to have found it when I did. THANKS

Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
(female)

Punkxbarbie HB User

To everyone that posted thank you!i was experiencing the same problem and had just finished my period I decided to check inside and sure enough had felt something strange!i noticed this foul smell after my boyfriend and I were intimate as I was just ending my period.there in fact was a tampon stuck inside me!ladies I have always been careful with tampons and if you are expieriencing something like this it doesn't hurt to feel around!i will now only use a tampon for heavy flow!glad to not have TSS!thank you to everyone who shared their stories I was going to go to the obgyn till I found this so happy it was that!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

awkwwwwaaarrddd HB User

hey ladies,
I've been experiencing the same thing and never really thought about the possibility of a "forgotten tampon" until now, I've done it before and figured it out in time. but now there's no string and I have no idea how to try and retrieve it if it is there. any suggestions????

Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

Punkxbarbie HB User

Hi you'll have to carefully insert your finger in and feel around mine didnt have a string either!if you feel a tampon in there try pushing it out I did and was able to grab it and slowly pull it out hope this helps

Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
(female)

lyinlikelions HB User
Smile Re: Vaginal brown discharge/foul odor and increasing discomfort- HELP!!

Thank you all so much for your posts! For the last week I've been experiencing the same and looking for answers. So glad I found this thread, and thankful that I didn't get TSS!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
(female)

MrsTy37 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Vaginal brown discharge/foul odor and increasing discomfort- HELP!!

Recently I had have a lot of the same issues going on. I have been terrified to go to the doctor! So tonight I had searched the internet for two hours for these symptoms. I had given thought to a tampon piece being stuck. I cannot believe this could happen to me! With out your post I would have never given that thought.. so thank you for helping us ladies that were experiencing the same thing!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

wildeyes HB User

Same experience. Glad you posted all the gory details because it led me to the source. I have never had this happen before and have been menstruating for over 20 years. Crazy & gross. Thanks for being open though. It helped me!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

curiousam HB User
Smile Re: Vaginal brown discharge/foul odor and increasing discomfort- HELP!!

Thank you guys sooooo much!!!! I was experiencing this same watery brown discharge and i was so confused, i googled an found no real answers until this! I still thought na thats not my problem a tampon really? So i ran into the bathroom an felt around! I noticed i felt something right above where i usually stick my tampons, kinda stuck there an started to tug on it i was in total SHOCK there was a smelly old Tampon! I really want to thank you guys! And hopefully i can be some assistance to others experiencing this!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to curiousam:
Caroline1711 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
(female)

Caroline1711 HB User

Omg the same thing happened to me! I just discovered it I'm actually embarrassed I'm married and 32 and pretty savvy so I thought! I hope to god now I don't have TSS because I've been feeling quite unwell for a few days and just checking symptoms! Thanks for posting so I actually thought to look....I was gonna go doctors but a 3 week wait.....imagine if I'd waited that long i may have ended up in hospital
Good luck thanks again

Closed Thread

Tags
brown discharge, vaginal discharge, vaginal odor