It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

jlanette HB User
Exclamation Abnormal Pap... Worried about results!

So my story... I am 22 years old and I became sexually active at the age of 13with multiple partners over the years. Got my 1st pap at 17 when I got put on BC. Went off BC and became pregnant at the age of 19. I was in a monogamous relationship with my baby's father during those 4 years. I had not returned for annual paps since I gave birth to my daughter so it has been 3 or 4 years since my last check up. 1 year ago I began a new relationship and then 6 months ago I went to the Gyn because I started experiencing pain and bleeding during intercourse. I explained to her that my cervix felt tender and quite painful at times but rather than do a cervical exam she ran several different tests for STDs. Results came back negative for all and she dismissed the issue although I was and am still experiencing the pain and bleeding. 2 weeks ago I finally went to a different Dr who gave me a Pap. Results came back a week later as abnormal (LSIL & dysplasia). My Dr scheduled me for a colposcopy & biopsy which I go for in 2 weeks. So what I am wondering is could the pain and bleeding during intercourse be related to my cervical abnormalities? And since I have gone 3-4 years without a pap is it possible that I have let my dysplasia progress into something worse? Any others have similar situations? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User
Re: Abnormal Pap... Worried about results!

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation, it sounds hard and frustrating.

I'm not an expert on these things, but here's some info that I can share:
LGSIL is part of a grading system for PAPs. It has to do with dysplasia, or abnormal changes in the cells of your cervix. Dysplasia does not mean cancer. But dysplasia does have the potential to turn into cancer. With a LGSIL, only about 1% will progress to cancer - assuming you do nothing about it. It sounds scary, but it really is a low number. With a LGSIL, you can either wait 6-12 months for a repeat PAP or do a colposcopy. Since you having had a PAP in so long, there's no way to determine when the changes started happening between your last PAP and now, so doing a colposcopy can give us a better "picture" of it. A colposcopy is a like biopsy of your cervix - it's a way to get a better look at the cervix, and to sample cells from areas that look abnormal or suspicious on your cervix. This information can get a better idea of what's going on, and where. What happens next will depend on those results. Doing this is important because sometimes, the PAP result will be "less serious" than what's really going on. I don't mean to scare you, but it might be important to know that. That is exactly why we do a colposcopy - to make sure changes are or are not deeper than what the PAP suggests. Everything that happens from here will depend on the colp results. Often times, we don't do anything with a LGSIL, as most of the time it will resolve on its own, so all we need to do is monitor it every 6 months or so, until things even out. What is done will obviously depend on your doctor, but that's kind of a common practice.

By waiting as long as you did, you "may"have "allowed" this dysplasia to "progress" to an LGSIL. Like I said before, we don't know when you started developing changes, so this could be a newer thing that may not have been picked up last year. It just depends. However, yearly PAPs aim to catch changes early, so we can follow and/or treat early, depending on the situation. They are important, especially in sexually active, high risk populations - you are young, have had multiple partners, and started having sex at a young age. This makes you a higher risk patient, and you should have been screened yearly. Having an "abnormal PAP" is scary, but needs to be "Taken with a grain of salt" - Not all abnormal PAPs are the same. That's why we do further testing to see how much of the cervix is abnormal. Don't dwell on the past, you can't change what you did (or didn't) do. Instead, focus now on getting more information about it and moving forward from there.

As for the pain and bleeding after sex, it is almost certainly due to your cervix. The cervix is "angry" right now, it's got cells on it that aren't supposed to be there, and it's easily irritated and susceptible to bleeding. That will be something you definitely need to talk to your doctor about. Again, things will depend on your colp results.

I'm sorry if this really didn't ease any of your concerns - I like to have knowledge about what's going on, I think it'll make it easier when I go in than to just be blindsided when you're already scared or upset. And since no one else answered you, I thought I'd share. So I hope it was at least somewhat helpful. Overall, don't beat yourself up about this - you can't change the past. Be more careful now and take care of yourself. You can't see your reproductive organs, so just like everything else you can't see, you need to keep it checked up! I hope this new doctor works out for you - your previous one was being irresponsible with your symptoms. I applaud you for seeking out someone else - sometimes it's hard for people to do that. I truly pray everything works out for you. Take care!

The Following User Says Thank You to Leelee28 For This Useful Post:
jlanette (10-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread