It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

Rosiel HB User
Why is the pill the only option for regulating periods?

I'm feeling sick today, just stressed in general.
Several weeks ago, I went to the doctor, for, sadly, my first physical in years.
Because of this fact, I had to bring up an issue I have had my entire life.
My periods range from irregular to non existent.

I'd always assumed there was either some hormonal imbalance, which I told myself when I was feeling good, or something horribly wrong with me, which kept me up at night when I was in a worse emotional place. .__.

When I brought it up, that I haven't had my period in months, and this is how ALL my periods are, she recommended going on the pill, but wanted lab work done.

After anxiously waiting for results all week, I finally got back to her, for her to tell me aaaalll my hormones are pretty much normal, so there's nothing there like a tumor, or any other horrible thing wrong with me, like I always panicked about.

Which should be a good thing. Except it was immediately followed by her prescribing me birth control, and sending me on my not so merry way.

I would have questioned it, but I was in a state of shock. AND I have really bad social issues, and aren't usually able to confront people.

But I couldn't believe it... If my hormones aren't messed up, then whats wrong with me? Why is there no further effort to learn why I haven't had a period since june AT LEAST.

I don't understand, there seems to be no effort to even TRY to solve the problem, only to put me on the pill, and cover the problem up. I don't WANT to be on birth control. While it may have been convenient at one point in my life, it isn't now. The side effects aren't too pleasing, and I REALLY want to know what is ACTUALLY wrong with me, rather than having my doctor just cover it up and ignore it.

I don't understand, is this normal? I brought it up to my mom, and she seemed to think what my doctor did was just peachy.

I'm frustrated, I'm no closer to solving my problems, and I'm staring at my birth control pills, unsure if I should start taking them or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

Rosiel HB User
Re: Why is the pill the only option for regulating periods?

And after reading through other threads here, I feel like everyone is going to tell me I'm wrong, and to just listen to my doctor.
I don't understand why nobody will take this seriously, and I feel sick thinking about going back to my doctor, when I don't have any solid argument to what she did.

I just want some ideas on here, of what might be wrong, so I'd at least have legitimate things to ask her about.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There doesn't have to be anything "wrong" in order for your periods to be irregular. Some women are just that way - from your extreme to the other of having more frequent, heavy periods. Most likely your mother or your grandmother had similar periods. The only way to make them regular when there isn't some cause like PCOS,etc is to force a regular period via birth control pills. There is no other medical option. If you don't care whether they are irregular since there is no underlying problem, then don't take the pills. But you evidently complained to her about them so she is trying to correct that for you. It's really no big deal if pregancy -getting or not getting - isn't a concern.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

Rosiel HB User

Maybe I'm just stupid, but that doesn't make sense. There technically would have to be something wrong. I'm not trying to say there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with me, but, functioning normal, a womans period is SUPPOSED to be monthly, supposed to be predictable.

Something would have to be out of balance to only have your period a couple of times a year.

Nobody in my family has had periods like that.
I was expecting the lab work to show that SOMETHING, anything, was out of whack. From there on I expected the option of birth control, or just leaving it be, because it's not serious.

But how can my periods be that irregular if all my hormones are normal?

Closed Thread