It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
(female)

MODELMOM68 HB User
Angry dermoid tumor

just found out i have dermoid tumor on my left ovary, i knew something was wrong, i pay attention to my body, went to the er, doctor said it is large and if left untreated it could twist or burst, a gyn said he will see me, tho i have no insurance, anyone had this b4 how was urs treated?i am so scare, i cant sleep, i was given hydro, i cant sleep!!! im scared

Last edited by MODELMOM68; 10-12-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

MODELMOM68 HB User
Re: dermoid tumor

I have an appointment on friday, i wasnt going to let them make me wait for six weeks!!! Its $150 to see the doctor, but thats cool!!! Anything to get this taken care of!!! CAN anyone offer me feedbacks please, im restless, the hydro dont make me sleep, and like estoria said anxiety isnt good, but how can i cope? Im a mom of five, three of whom tha thave health problems, and i worry, can anyone help to stop my heart from racing?

Last edited by MODELMOM68; 10-12-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I had a dermoid cyst removed many years ago. Have a little bikini line scar but maybe it could even be done laporascopically now! I have felt great, since.

Sue

The following user gives a hug of support to slenderella:
MODELMOM68 (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

MODELMOM68 HB User

Hi, Im glad you are feeling better, thank god for that, the news about this just make us all worry, im trying to stay upbeat and hope i soon will feel like you, thanks for ur post makes me feel a little better too

Last edited by MODELMOM68; 10-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User

Hi MODELMOM!

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty with this whole situation, this kind of stuff can be very scary. Hopefully I can ease some of your worry. I'm not sure if someone explained them to you, or if people here don't know, but I thought I'd share just a little info about them.

A dermoid "tumor" is the most common solid tumor in adolescent and reproductive age women, compromising 20% of all ovarian tumors! They are really kind of cool - they are called germ cell tumors, meaning they arise from germ cells (your eggs). So when a tumor (or cyst, as some call them) forms, it contains "human things", like hair, teeth, bone cartilage, and fat - lots of fat. Your doctor was correct, in that you have a high risk of ovarian torsion (twisting of the ovary, which cuts off its blood supply). The reason the risk is so high is because of how much fat is in these tumors - it causes them to "float" up in the pelvic cavity, and that just makes it easier for them to twist. So you will need to have it removed However, you can rest easy on the fact that only 1-4% will become cancer, and even if that were to happen, they are HIGHLY responsive to chemotherapy (ie: they can be treated easily and successfully). So really, you don't have to worry about "ovarian cancer" - this is not the kind of tumor that is associated with the "deadly ovarian cancer".

Having a tumor is definitely scary, and I completely understand your fear and concern. The risk of torsion is real, and something you want to be aware of and have taken care of, but otherwise, you don't have to really "worry" about it.

I hope this helped. Looks like you had an appointment today, so I hope that goes well and everything gets taken care of!
Best of luck, and many blessings!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had a dermoid about 30 years ago. I kept having pain in my side. First the drs said it was a cyst and would go away, then an ultrasound indicated it was solid and was about the size of a golf ball. The dr thought it was a dermoid but wasn't sure and surgery was scheduled 4 days later. Made for a long weekend. It was a dermoid that was the size of an orange. Nothing else needed to be removed. The dr told me it was like trying to made a baby myself. yuck some have teeth, hair etc. I was up walking the next morning and felt so much better. Never had a return of any either. I did have a hysterectomy last year because of numerous fibroids.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Mine had hair and teeth!!

Closed Thread