It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
(female)

Foster54321 HB User
Boil on vulva, baking soda bad reaction?

I've been dealing with a painful situation for a couple days, and I would really like some help! I'll explain everything step by step.

A boil developed on my labia minora (inner labia) a few days ago. I'm pretty certain it was caused by excessive pressure from bicycling. I had intense itching for couple days, and then saw a boil that was still under the surface. Many health sites recommend applying baking soda/water paste to boils or applying cotton swabs soaked in vinegar -- for boils anywhere on the body -- to clean and draw them to a head.

On day one, I soaked a swab in apple cider vinegar and left it on the boil overnight. When I woke, the boil was almost to a head, which was great, so I replaced the cotton swab with another soaked in vinegar. It started to burn within 20 minutes. It looked as though the top layer of the skin had been burned off, but the boil remained under the surface. It simply had a rough, tender, open wound type look.

I thought the vinegar had been on there too long, so I soaked in a warm bath and then applied the baking soda/water paste. It burned immediately, but within a minute, it just felt warm, which is what people on forums often say about treating wounds and such with baking soda -- initial pain and then soothed.

As I felt impatient with this -- you can imagine it's hard to walk or do much at all -- I decided that if a little baking soda is healing, then it was a waste of time to dilute it with water. While laying on my back with a mirror in hand, I tried to shake a little baking soda out of the box onto my vulva. About 2 tablespoons came out on accident, but I just left it and covered it with gauze.

I could only endure it for a half hour because it slowly became more and more burning and painful. I washed it off and inspected it with a mirror, only to find that nearly half of my vulva was red and inflamed, but the boil looked the same! I soothed the inflamed tissue with coconut oil, but I suspect that I shouldn't leave that on there because it can clog the boil.

My questions for you are:
1. Has anyone ever been foolish with baking soda like that? Same result?
2. Does anyone think that the baking soda would have been a good choice if I had not first used vinegar?
3. Does anyone have suggestions for a safe next step? Antibiotic cream perhaps? Another ointment?

I appreciate anyone's help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
(female)

Foster54321 HB User
Unhappy Re: Boil on vulva, baking soda bad reaction?

Update: I haven't put anything on the wound site today, but it has developed into several small ulcers. They look sort of like canker sores. It is extremely painful to urinate because it's like putting acid on open wounds. Does anyone have any advice??

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Boil on vulva, baking soda bad reaction?

The inner labia are very delicate, almost as delicate as your eyes.

For now, I would say put NOTHING on, especially not an antibiotic (antibiotics could trigger a yeast infection). If you can get ahold of a plain lidocaine-based mouth-numbing agent, that might ease the pain.

Drink lots of water, to make your urine thinner. Instead of wiping, wet the toilet paper with cool water and gently blot yourself.

Also, try a cool bath. It probably is time to go to the gynecologist, but with the Christmas holiday, that might take a few days.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

also to help w/ the urinating you can poor room temp water over you while urinating to dilute it that should help some. I'd try to keep it dry by drying w/ hair dryer on cool setting

Last edited by noevr; 12-23-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: for content

Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
(female)

Foster54321 HB User

janewhite1:
Thank you for replying! I didn't realize that antibiotic cream was to be avoided. You wouldn't believe the number of health sites that recommend it for that area of the body. I'm gentle with toilet paper so it doesn't hurt much; it's mostly the urine that does. I'll look for a lidocaine topical, and otherwise, I'll put nothing on the sores. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
(female)

Foster54321 HB User

no34evr:
I shall try that trick with pouring water while urinating to dilute the urine! I'm drinking tons of water, too, like janewhite1 said, so that there is basically less acid each time. I don't own a hair-dryer, but I appreciate the suggestion. It's helpful to get replies from people because it makes you feel like someone has gone through something similar.

Closed Thread