It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2003, 02:20 AM   #1

CuteChica HB User
Exclamation Anyone know good ways to keep a UTI away!!

Anyone know any good ways to keep a UTI away. Let's just say I am one of those who gets them easily!

------------------
$$$$Luvs Cute Chica$$$$

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #2

kristen_channel HB User
I used to get them a lot after becoming sexually active, and these are the tips I was given:

The most important tip to prevent urinary tract infections, bladder infections, and kidney infections is to practice good personal hygiene. Always wipe from front to back after a bowel movement or urination, and wash the skin around and between the rectum and vagina daily. Washing and urinating before and after sexual intercourse may also decrease a woman's risk of UTI.

Drinking plenty of fluids (water) each day will help flush bacteria out of the urinary system and emptying the bladder as soon as the urge to urinate occurs may also help to decrease the risk of bladder infection or UTI. Some physicians recommend urinating before and after sex as well as a mean of flushing out any bacteria that may enter the urethra during sexual intercourse.

Vitamin C makes the urine acidic and helps to reduce the number of potentially harmful bacteria in the urinary tract system.

Wear only panties with a cotton crotch--cotton allows moisture to escape whereas other materials may trap moisture and create a potential breeding ground for bacteria.

Cranberry juice often helps to reduce frequency of bladder infections. Cranberry herbal supplements are available over-the-counter and many women find they work amazingly quickly when an UTI has occurred, however, a physician's diagnosis is still necessary even if cranberry juice or herbals reduce pain or symptoms.

If you experience frequent urinary tract infections changing sexual positions that cause less friction on the urethra may help. Some physicians prescribe an antibiotic to be taken immediately following sex for women who tend to have frequent UTIs.

------------------
Proud to be a Navy wife!

We can't wait to meet our little "Jellybean" in June of 2003!

Proud to be a Navy wife!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
(male)

lordduzi HB User
Drink cranberry juice, it certainly won't hurt, but it can help and has lots of vitamins as a bonus.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:52 AM   #4

painterlyfoe HB User
Smile

I used to get UTI's quite frequently after having sex. If you start to feel that one is coming on, the best thing to do is start drinking lots of fluids (especially cranberry juice) right away!!! (you can also take cranberry pills)
If you notice that you are getting them alot try going to the bathroom right after you have sex. when you have sex, the thrusting motion causes unwanted bacteria to basically be shoved up where it doesn't belong. If you go to the bathroom right afterwards, you can get rid of the bacteria for the most part.
But, you should always make a doctor's appointment. sometimes the infection can be more severe than you think. If you are experiencing any back pain with your UTI at all, tell a doctor...it may have gone to your kidneys!!
good luck.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Front to back wiping-definately.

Cranberry juice and water are supposed to be excellent too.

Closed Thread