It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

grapefruit4521 HB User
Severe cramping on first day of period... help?

I have read through many posts about this topic and have not found anything exact so I figured I would ask. This started about 2 years ago, the day I begin my period (every other month - so I think it is one side of me) I get intense cramping in my lower abdomen accompanied with diarrhea and sometimes I just about faint (I sit down and it doesn't happen). Yesterday I went to the emergency room because it was so terrible I could barely handle it and wanted answers. My iron levels are a fine and I eat a very healthy diet and exercise regularly. I am not on birth control because it makes me feel abnormal and I really just don't like to take any chemicals. The doctor was of little help and gave me a prescription for pain medication which I will not take. It is not ok that I am missing work and class due to this cramping. I can't bear this forever and really wish for help. I am thinking it could be ovarian cysts or something similar. Does anyone here have any advice or can relate? I thank you.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Severe cramping on first day of period... help?

You didn't say how old you are and if you've had children, but it sounds like you are probably late teens-early twenties and haven't had children.

Often young women experience these severe pain symptoms before childbirth, but they tend to get much better after childbirth.

There are a number of conditions that can cause the symptoms you're experiencing: endometriosis, fibroids (tend to be in women over 30 or so), ovarian cysts, etc.

When you go the the ER you're not getting a doctor who specializes in gynecological conditions and you may not get a firm diagnosis or the tests necessary to figure out what's going on.

It would be best for you to make an appointment with a gynecologist and get the right tests to figure out what's causing this.

I know you say you don't want to take medications to fix this, but you should be aware that one of the best fixes for period pain (depending on the cause) is to go on the pill. If you're not open to taking the pill or other medications, then you'll need to do a lot of research on natural methods to control your symptoms.

I can certainly relate to what you're describing as I had pretty much the same problems before I had children. I did go on the pill to try to alleviate the problems and it really helped a lot. I also found taking Ibuprofin starting 2-3 days before my period started and until it ended helped a lot. There are a lot of foods to avoid/eat that can also help with the problems - do the research and try experimenting.

I hope you can get a good diagnosis and some relief from your symptoms as I know how miserable they can make you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
cramp, pain abdomen, period