It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

tvix HB User
yeast infection or UTI, maybe?

Hi,

I'm not sure what's going on with me and since it's the weekend I most likely won't get to talk to my doctor until next week. Hoping you all can help! About a week ago I had sex for the first time unprotected with my boyfriend. My vagina felt a little itchy afterwards but I figured it would go away. The itch is not on the vulva. It's further up the vagina. It has slowly got worse over the past days. Now it is to the point where it feels like I have to pee all the time and when I do it burns. Because it started out the way it did, I was thinking it was maybe thrush or an STD, but I don't have excessive discharge. Then I thought maybe it's a UTI but is vaginal itching common with that? Any help would be appreciated. I can deal with the itch but feeling like I have to pee is awful!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: yeast infection or UTI, maybe?

Burning while urinating and feeling like you have to pee all the time are definite signs of a UTI, and UTI's are common for some women after sex.

Regarding the itching, if you had a yeast infection you'd likely also have itching around the vulva area, but this doesn't mean it's not a yeast infection. Deep vaginal itching isn't a sign of a UTI though, so you might have more than one issue going on. Really hard to say what's causing the vaginal itching.

You really need to be seen by a doctor for this to figure out what's going on, and the sooner the better. Be sure to mention/write down all of your symptoms. If you start to run a fever, have mid-back pain, or urinate blood, be sure to go to urgent care/ER ASAP as those can be signs of a kidney infection that can happen sometimes if you don't treat a UTI soon enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
(female)

tvix HB User

Thanks so much for the advice, twohands! My friend who has had UTIs before said she there was itching with hers, so I'm hoping that's what it is. I'm going to get an over the counter test today. I actually have an appt with my GYN on Tues to get a colposcopy because of an abnormal pap. Does anyone know if you can still have a colpo while experiencing a UTI?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Although I'm not a doctor or medical personnel, I don't see where a UTI would interefere with a colposcopy. The colposcopy is basically a magnified look at, in, and around your cervix to investigate abnormal lesions and biopsy them if need be. If you have HPV it's common to have abnormal cervical lesions, and often these lesions are precancerous or even cancerous. I recently heard that approx. 30-60% of all people in their late teens to early twenties have HPV.

Best wishes for your procedure on Tuesday! Be sure to mention to the staff that you may have a UTI before they prep you for the procedure as they may want to get a urine specimen before they do the procedure.

Closed Thread