It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

otto789 HB User
What is wrong with me? Is this neurological?

I have had problems for over a year now with extreme exhaustion. It is not physical exhaustion (though I have experienced a sharp decrease in physical strength and stamina). It is mental exhaustion. I sleep more than nine hours a night. I nap during the day. I look forward to my sleep, and must get it. If there is a lot going on around me -- a lot of noise and light stimulation, like being in a room where there's a television on a people talking, or shopping in a gorcery store with so much to look at -- I feel incomprehensibly tired and, if I am able to, fall asleep. I am terrified of driving on the highway because it makes me feel like falling asleep. When I am in a car on the highway when someone else is driving, I do fall asleep. This has significantly affected my life. I do not socialize with people because I am tired. I don't do much of anything anymore.
I also notice constant blurred vision despite wearing glasses.
I am disinterested in things going on around me, and have a very hard time recalling information such as directions. I oftentimes do not know how I arrived at a location. I have a very hard time recalling words, and my speech has become embarrassingly halting and disorganized. I freqeuntly stutter and people oftentimes stop listening to me because what I am saying doesn't make sense or it takes me so long to say it, or I keep editing what I am saying because I keep using the wrong words. I find myself marveling people who can talk smoothly without stuttering or completely forgetting words.
I notice too an instability in my moods. I have been unsuccessful in finding a correct balance of anti-depressant and anti-psychotic medications, even though I have been trying for years to do so. I have experienced during this year some psychotic episodes, and was diagnosed with Brief Psychotic Episode Disorder. When I try to explain to my doctor what is happening to me, he dismisses me as being a hypochondriac.
Can anybody, ANYBODY, offer me some information? I am at the end of my rope. I know that only a doctor can diagnose what is wrong with me, but I need to know where to even start. The only thing I can think of is that my mother has MS -- perhaps this is MS? I don't know, and I need help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: What is wrong with me? Is this neurological?

Since you noticed a marked increase in your symptoms a year ago, it's likely something is going on and that this isn't just in your head. Sometimes you need to be your own advocate and keep pushing until you find the right doctors. If your primary care doc is so quick to dismiss you as a hypochondriac, I'd suggest you find a different one who will listen to you and at least do some exploration of your symptoms.

I'd insist on getting some testing to determine if MS is causing the problems or not. Around 15% of the people who get MS have a first-degree relative with MS, so there is a genetic link in many cases. Also, the first symptom in many people with MS are eye problems which you mentioned, so this really should get checked out.

There are also other conditions which can cause some of your symptoms, including but not limited to anemia, thyroid disorders, some autoimmune conditions (RA, lupus, fibromyalgia), vitamin/mineral deficiencies, etc. You need a work up to determine the if any of the most likely culprits are causing your symptoms.

The best place to start is with a primary care doc who is a good fit for you and who listens to you, and that you feel really comfortable with. It's okay to fire your doctor, and realize that not every doctor out there will be a good match for you. I recommend you make a list of your symptoms and bring it to your doctor's appt.

B complex vitamins and vitamin D can help with energy level, so you might find a bit of relief by taking those if you aren't already.

I hope you get some answers and relief soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
otto789 (03-12-2012)
Closed Thread